Advanced Open Water Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure where noobs would go for SCUBA advice. I go here, and there are many many posts expressing bad feelings about this or that, but they don’t name names. There will be many reasons for that I suppose, but it illustrates my concern. I fell like if you won’t name an offender, maybe you shouldn’t say anything in the first place. I know some will have legitimate reasons for silence, but are they really good enough reasons?
Whistleblowers are not treated well,

Your instructor trained you according to PADI standards and you feel that you and him did well, so, I suppose the problem is not the agency or training standards?
My instructor trained me well in spite of standards, not because of them. I think there are problems with both the standards, in that they don't guarantee good training, but also in the enforcement/quality control. I also had a private OW class with one instructor, one assistant and me in the water. So a 1:2 ratio, not the usual 6:1.

My instructor trained me well in spite of standards, not because of them. I think there are problems with both the standards, in that they don't guarantee good training, but also in the enforcement/quality control. I also had a private OW class with one instructor, one assistant and me in the water. So a 1:2 ratio, not the usual 6:1.
Which standard hindered them?

Whistleblowers are not treated well,
...by those on whom the whistle was blown...which they deserved. What is the problem with this? The alternative is an increasingly worsening status quo.

And, lion fish in the Caribbean should be hunted to local extinction if possible!
You must have a permit to hunt / shoot lionfish in a SPA in the Florida Keys.

Then hopefully they are easy to get!
Takes some classroom time...its a stupid rule by your gubment at work, IMO.

...by those on whom the whistle was blown...which they deserved. What is the problem with this? The alternative is an increasingly worsening status quo.
Someone working in a shop whistleblowing on their employer could mean they don’t work in a store again. They need protection.

Are they lionfish specific? Or are there other game fish you can legally hunt on the same permit?

I don't hunt, but I appreciate lionfish hunters.
ONLY lionfish may hunted in a SPA (Special Protected Area). The class is designed to make the diver aware to not shoot in such a way as to injure the reef. I saw a guy (not on a spa) hit a sponge and really rip it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom