Advanced Open Water Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Above, the concept was mentioned of people who are good instructors but unable to actually do the dive…”those who can, do, those who can’t, teach” kind of statement, as if those two things are mutually exclusive…you can either teach, or you can do. Nonsense. There are actually four possibilities:

Can teach, can do. Can teach, can’t do. Can’t teach, can do. Can’t teach, can’t do.

In my decades of diving all over the world, taking many classes, and having 3000+ logged dives, I estimate (in VERY round numbers) that the people I know distribute like this:

Can Do
Can’t Do
Can Teach
25%
5%
Can’t Teach
50%
10%

That old saying only applies to 5% of the people I’ve known.

So you knew one guy who was a good teacher but a terrible doer. Did you ever meet anybody who was a good teacher and ALSO a good doer?
Very few, and far in between.

@Arkman

What you describe is not uncommon. While people on this thread won't like what I am about to say, the wide range in quality in instruction varies so dramatically, so I routinely recommend GUE fundies. It will actually save you money long term too.

@Arkman

What you describe is not uncommon. While people on this thread won't like what I am about to say, the wide range in quality in instruction varies so dramatically, so I routinely recommend GUE fundies. It will actually save you money long term too.
Nothing wrong with GUE Fundies or recommending it. It is a different course with a different purpose than AOW. It is not either-or.

Nothing wrong with GUE Fundies or recommending it. It is a different course with a different purpose than AOW. It is not either-or.
Yes, AOW is for being allowed to dive to 100 feet with a dive charter. Fundies is for actual skills acquisition.

Yes, AOW is for being allowed to dive to 100 feet with a dive charter. Fundies is for actual skills acquisition.
Mainly. AOW gives a sampling of five specialities to give you some insight about which topics you might want to know more about, and is a prereq for some other training. Getting on a dive boat is not part of the intended purpose of AOW.

Getting on a dive boat is not part of the intended purpose of AOW.
But what it is primarily used for. If dive charters didn't require it, there'd be a lot fewer certs.

The first dive of most con ed are a joke and don't give much of an idea. You really think seeing colors disappear or different depth values of different depth gauges/computers gives a good indication of what else is going to be learned in a deep class? Come on.

Mainly. AOW gives a sampling of five specialities to give you some insight about which topics you might want to know more about, and is a prereq for some other training. Getting on a dive boat is not part of the intended purpose of AOW.
Then why the heck is it so commonly required?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom