Advanced Open Water Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get your AOW and Nitrox certifications, then take those cards with you on every vacation. Whatever your experience, you'll never miss a recreational/vacation dive because somebody decided you aren't qualified.

Later, if you pursue higher training, you will still carry these cards, because (a) basically the entire diving world recognizes them; and (b) you won't have to answer silly questions from strange people about your other diving, and nobody on the boat will expect you do be anything but a regular paying vacation customer.

Then go take Rescue, because it will change how you look at diving.

True story. Tried to dive Key Biscayne Wall with some friends. I guy had over 1,000 dives and 1 guy had less than 25 dives but had the AOW cert. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to go until 1,000 diver got his AOW the following year

There is a reason for that, and it makes sense if you think about it.

It is all about liability. The dive operator and its insurance agency are concerned that they might be sued following a dive incident if the plaintiff argues that the operator allowed the victim to do an advanced dive for which he or she was not qualified. They therefore have to have some sort of standard that says the diver is qualified for the dive, and that standard must hold up in court. Let's look at two possible standards:

AOW certification: In the lawsuit, the defense points out that because it is an advanced dive, they require AOW certification. The diver had AOW certification. The operator had no judgment to make--a representative of a recognized scuba diving agency has certified that the diver was qualified. Case closed.

Take a look at the logbook and see if the diver is qualified: In the lawsuit, the defense says that they looked at the diver's logbook, and they made the judgment that the diver was qualified for the dive. The plaintiff's attorney starts drooling with anticipation of how the operator is going to be grilled on how they decide what kind of dives qualified the diver and how they were sure the logbook was accurate and just what were the qualifications of the person who made the decision that the diver was suitably advanced and....

There you go John, making sense again.

Reactions: RJP
There is a reason for that, and it makes sense if you think about it.

It is all about liability. The dive operator and its insurance agency are concerned that they might be sued following a dive incident if the plaintiff argues that the operator allowed the victim to do an advanced dive for which he or she was not qualified. They therefore have to have some sort of standard that says the diver is qualified for the dive, and that standard must hold up in court.

I completely agree with the liability, I understand it and agree with it - my question is does AOW make one an Advanced Diver or is it really a check the box for the dive operator?
Is AOW really OW2 (wink wink nudge nudge) with a card since you can roll right into it after OW or Jr OW or is it an advanced course that divers should be proud of? Or is it really based on the instructor teaching AOW?
I am always curious by the view of AOW - I have conflicting opinions on what AOW really is...

I completely agree with the liability, I understand it and agree with it - my question is does AOW make one an Advanced Diver or is it really a check the box for the dive operator?
Is AOW really OW2 (wink wink nudge nudge) with a card since you can roll right into it after OW or Jr OW or is it an advanced course that divers should be proud of? Or is it really based on the instructor teaching AOW?
I am always curious by the view of AOW - I have conflicting opinions on what AOW really is...

There is a difference between certification and qualification. Any C-card is just a learner's permit. The AOW card clearly does not make one an advanced diver.

Having read the info on PADI's website, there is a statement that AOW "is designed to advance your diving" with phrases "helps build confidence" and "expand your scuba skills through different Adventure dives." I think most of us have common sense and know AOW definitely does not make you an advanced diver nor should anyone call themselves that, as only practice/experience/education can lead to that.

AOW certification: In the lawsuit, the defense points out that because it is an advanced dive, they require AOW certification. The diver had AOW certification. The operator had no judgment to make--a representative of a recognized scuba diving agency has certified that the diver was qualified. Case closed.

Meriam Webster
: the act of making something official : the act of certifying something

: official approval to do something professionally or legally

Guess John covered that!

Get your AOW and Nitrox certifications, then take those cards with you on every vacation. Whatever your experience, you'll never miss a recreational/vacation dive because somebody decided you aren't qualified.

A conclusion I have come to thanks to some great responses.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2015 at 10:21 AM ----------

AOW is not a pre-req for rescue. In fact I recommend rescue before AOW. AOW gives you access to dives where the stuff can hit the fan faster and with more severe consequences.
On top of that not all AOW or Advanced Level courses (as the one I teach is called) are the same.

There is a thread, if you've not seen it, "Bonaire Emergency at 65 ft.," that validates Jim's statement.

I agree......

...even if you aren't qualified.

IJS

...even if you aren't qualified.IJS

I am still laughing...

Reactions: RJP

...even if you aren't qualified.

True. But now whether the dive is within your limits is in your hands. The dive shop just wants an independent evaluation of whether you're qualified. Sure, for liability reasons. But also for general safety. Most recreational dives are idiot proof. Most recreational certifications only filter idiots. And that has generally worked for decades.

Everybody talks a good game about wanting more-difficult classes. But I think I just read a post from an open-water instructor who puts stages on ostensibly new divers. That's stages on singles. I'm not sure that's what most people had in mind.

Back
Top Bottom