Advanced Age Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Last month, I geared up for a solo dive in the Delaware River in New Jersey. As I checked my equipment, I couldn't find my mask. I used to just wear it backward on my head before having an eye patch. But whenever I take my mask off it messes with my patch and I have to reseat both the eye patch and the mask. I've been temporarily clipping it to my torpedo spearfishing buoy and flag before putting it on. Anyway, I couldn't find it and thought it slipped into the water.

When I found it, it was already on my face. At 54, that confirmed I'm officially an Advanced Age diver.

Well don't worry, you still have many years of diving ahead of you. A buddy of mine is over 80 and still diving and I wish I could be as proficient underwater as he is, although I'm 30 years his junior.

Great, I've only got another month and I'm "advanced age"?

I think the eye-patch makes you look younger.

Uh, no! You are not even fully grown yet. Adulthood begins at 60, advanced age, something like 90 or so. Do not rush yourself :wink:. As I look for my glasses that are already on and then search for my Jeep keys that are in my hand -----.

And besides, other than on your face, the best place for your mask is on your forehead!

James

I'm 64 and get "the look" quite often. Will he topple over? Can he carry his gear all the way down here? I'm sure I gave old-timers that same concerned look when I was younger. Goes with the territory I guess.

I used to just wear it backward on my head before having an eye patch.

1663944830497.png

You are in good company.

Stan Waterman hangs up his fins at 90

Stan Waterman, diving's grand ambassador

A buddy of mine is over 80 and still diving and I wish I could be as proficient underwater as he is,

I also had two friends that dove into their mid-80s. Both were very accomplished underwater still photographers and produced great images up to their last dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom