ADV or no ADV that is the question :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I am just asking :) :)
But why not using the bob as part of your buoyancy because whatever way you look, it is part of your buoyancy, isn't it?

it's not a buoyancy compensation device, and since most BoB's are sidemounted, it will also cause some serious roll issues

Well I am just asking :) :)
But why not using the bob as part of your buoyancy because whatever way you look, it is part of your buoyancy, isn't it?

Using a BOB for buoyancy is potentially deadly. In the event that you actually have to use it, the loop volume may be too much for an adequate exhale and lead to CO2 buildup compounded by the stress of a real life bailout. The loop needs to be maintained at ambient pressure for proper breathing.

I think I didn't really said it correctly.
When I mean "part of the buoyancy" I don't mean to use it like a full wing but to integrate it into the buoyancy you need to manage and that indeed you need to have the BOB as a pressure which allow you to be able to breath from it.
My question was more about to know if it is easier to let the adv on on the bob or to neutralise it completely or to neutralise it only during a phase of the dive.

I think I didn't really said it correctly.
When I mean "part of the buoyancy" I don't mean to use it like a full wing but to integrate it into the buoyancy you need to manage and that indeed you need to have the BOB as a pressure which allow you to be able to breath from it.
My question was more about to know if it is easier to let the adv on on the bob or to neutralise it completely or to neutralise it only during a phase of the dive.

you have to manage it, but with the ADV you only have to manage it on ascents. Your hands get really busy on descents, and you have at least 2 less things to do with your hands on ascent *vent CCR from your nose/lips, and drysuit from shoulder*. No need to complicate things more.

It depends, cave diving, shore diving, most blue water diving I can easily manage with no adv. I dove without one for a couple of years. The first time you hot drop to tie a mooring holding 12 feet of chain and you can't find your mav, you will wish you had an adv. I had enough times wishing I had one that I put one back on my unit. All of the time were task loaded hot drops. I now have an IBOV and it is so seamless, I wouldn't want to go back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom