ADV or no ADV that is the question :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends a lot on the unit. The Revo ADV is especially useless. whereas the ADV is also the MAV on the Meg TOS lungs. It works perfectly for both purposes.

I have one on the sidewinder, it is helpful when scootering

I do have an inspiration and a sidewinder
The inspo is using golem TOS cl with meg stile adv, and it dores top often. Usually i close it on reaching the bottom
The sw is less sensitive but also close on the bottom.
The original AP was pretty use and have far less useless firing imho

I did away with mine ages ago. Pain in the backside and with back lungs never a really full inhale. Prone to leaking with helium vs air. BUT it does add to task loading on decent - lungs, wings, dry suit. Just go slow and stay ahead of the curve. I dive an MCCR with a 'leaky orifice' irefer to as a DOCCR (Dual orifice CCR) Mod 8
Nice "closing of a Dolphin" :)

My unit, a standard rEvo III, came with the ADV disconnected when I bought it in 2013. I never reconnected it, in fact, my MOD1 Intsructor who was a factory instructor advised me not to bother. For deep wrecks I have never had an issue with task loading because there was no ADV. About two years ago I finally disconnected the ADV LP hose from the first stage and capped the gas block going into the case, just to get rid of that LP hose as it had no function and was a potential point of failure. A while back I fitted a Shrimp BOV, works great and I consider that another source of DIL and I also can always plug in my Off board bailout tin if needs be, so thats enough sources of DiL for me!

For people diving a BOB, would you say ADV on the BOV is a must or the BOB is your wing, or part of your wing, and you use the MAV to get it filled?
Thanks

My unit, a standard rEvo III, came with the ADV disconnected when I bought it in 2013. I never reconnected it, in fact, my MOD1 Intsructor who was a factory instructor advised me not to bother. For deep wrecks I have never had an issue with task loading because there was no ADV. About two years ago I finally disconnected the ADV LP hose from the first stage and capped the gas block going into the case, just to get rid of that LP hose as it had no function and was a potential point of failure. A while back I fitted a Shrimp BOV, works great and I consider that another source of DIL and I also can always plug in my Off board bailout tin if needs be, so thats enough sources of DiL for me!
Do you run your Shrimp off onboard gas?

For people diving a BOB, would you say ADV on the BOV is a must or the BOB is your wing, or part of your wing, and you use the MAV to get it filled?
Thanks

wait, when you say BoB is being used for buoyancy? yeah, don't do that. ADV on a BoB is deemed a must by everyone I know that uses them.

I have the ADV on my unit, i didn't remove it yet anyway..... But I have a DIL MAV, and I mostly use the DIL MAV. I keep the ADV so it wont fire automatically. There are times however when I do like that I can slide the on/off valve and open up the ADV to be used. For example if I am task loaded and dont want to have to deal with controlling another gas source, i can simply slide the valve and I am able to control with just an inhale. Also useful in bad silt outs when you can't see your computer and read your PP02, you can go to SCR mode, and w/ trying to manage the line in one hand, and my hand in front of me, Id rather simply just switch over to use the ADV. so in summary I like the ADV still on my unit, however i mostly drive it with my manual DIL. i like knowing I can switch over to it when needed.

wait, when you say BoB is being used for buoyancy? yeah, don't do that. ADV on a BoB is deemed a must by everyone I know that uses them.
Well I am just asking :) :)
But why not using the bob as part of your buoyancy because whatever way you look, it is part of your buoyancy, isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom