Adjusting a new DR Transpac II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
am trying to fit a new Transpac II and I'm a little confused -- I'm using the tech cummerbund that it usually comes with -

As per instructions I moved the shoulder strap base plates to be underneath the arm pits.

I'm not sure how low to put the cummerbund. I now have the very bottom of the cummerbund sitting on the hip-bone. Is that correct? The BC is comfortable (out of water) but it doesn't feel all that tight. I've got a common body type - 6 feet tall, 180 lbs, 36" waist, and I'm wearing a 3 mil suit (and starting to perspire).

If I take up all the slack in the shoulder by pulling on the shoulder D-rings real hard the middle of the cummerbund moves up to the bottom of my rib cage.

Thanks much.

I found that I needed the crotch strap to stop it riding up.

Crotch strap - yeah, I can see how that would do the trick, but I know some don't use one, and my LDS (Larry at ST) implied I wouldn't want one.

If Larry says you don't need it you may not. You could just let it ride somewhere between too low to a tad too high depending on your trim, or you could fight it like crazy every dive. That'd be good for the old SAC rate I'm sure.

Steve,

I find a crotch strap quite helpful on my DR TP II; my wife finds she does fine without one on her DR TP II. I think it's more of a personal thing on whether it's helpful or not - I'm considerably taller and longer-torsoed than my better half.

I have a light boned slim frame, and am 6'-1", 180 to 190 lbs (depending on vacations and desserts). I typically wear either a 2 mm Seaquest X-flex shorty or a Scubamax Superstrech Glideskin 3 mm full suit for my diving. So, sounds like similar physique to yours.

For my M/L TP II, I found I needed to slide the weight pouches really far back along the waist strap, and pull the shoulder straps just about all the way down to minimum position on my M/L to not have the harness want to shift around on me around the shoulders. The weight pouches are right over the widest part of my hip bones - still plenty easy to access to ditch if needed. This does make initial descent trying to stay vertical feet down a bit more challenging (the first 10 to 15 feet I'm really butt-down, then I can trim out a bit and rll to the more normal swimming position for the rest of the descent), but this positioning for me also works well to counterbalance back flotation 'push' forward when on the surface.

My wife's XS rig fits her 5'-4" petite frame very well. I think the M/L is just a bit on the L side if you're taller, and the torso measurement chart shows that's the right size for you, but lighter boned like me. I think if I could put a shorter set of shoulder straps on the harness, everything would come out perfect for me.

You can call the folks at Dive Rite Express - they'll happily go over adjustments over the phone with you while you try each change. They give great customer service.

www.diveriteexpress.com

Playing around some more (out of water) - the bc gets comfortably snug if I don't slouch (just like mom says) and puff up my chest some. It seems to me I'd get better trim if I keep the cummerbund lower to the hip bones - am I wrong here? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how a crotch strap will make it more snug around the chest and shoulders area. So I'm just gonna hope my worries will go away once I get a tank strapped on. Thanks (once) again.

The shifting stuff I'm mentioning didn't become apparent until I was under the water and swimming in the horizontal position. Before that, I had the weight pouches further forward, and the trim for feet first descending was better that way, but actual dive ergonomics were much less desireable. Above water, the waist strap buckle sits right about where my navel is when sitting ready to do the backroll.

I often dive independant doubles on no-deco-obligation dives, as I'm a gas pig, and my wife's RMV is about half mine - and the crotch strap is handy for that. But, I find it handy for when I dive singles too.

Let me know how it all works out for you once you get to try it through several full dives. I'm always open to tips to try.

Back
Top Bottom