adjust omega II free-flow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaalblake

Contributor
Reaction score
Just bought an Oceanic PX2 2nd hand with 2 x Omega II 2nd stages. Looks to be in very good condition. Interstage pressure is solid but one of the Omegas has a constant free flow. I have done lots of maintenance on other regs (Scubapro, USD) with a 'standard' 2nd stage.....but not these babies.
Seems there are no Oceanic manuals anywhere for download (I was able to score my poseidon and USD ones when I needed them without any bother) so I'll have to order a CD from the UK.

While its on its way to Oz can anyone give me any tips for adjusting the Omega? There is no obvious adjustment screw like there is on other 2nd stages? The pilot arm seems to be fixed and even if I hold the valve seat closed for the pilot, air is still free flowing out around the main valve........

How do you adjust out a free-flow?
NB I haven't even got them on the bench yet as I am away at the coast diving ....I'll be home later today....but I dont want to bust anything by opening/adjusting them in the wrong way before I get the manual :(

Thanks
Al.

scubaalblake:
Just bought an Oceanic PX2 2nd hand with 2 x Omega II 2nd stages. Looks to be in very good condition. Interstage pressure is solid but one of the Omegas has a constant free flow. I have done lots of maintenance on other regs (Scubapro, USD) with a 'standard' 2nd stage.....but not these babies.
Seems there are no Oceanic manuals anywhere for download (I was able to score my poseidon and USD ones when I needed them without any bother) so I'll have to order a CD from the UK.

While its on its way to Oz can anyone give me any tips for adjusting the Omega? There is no obvious adjustment screw like there is on other 2nd stages? The pilot arm seems to be fixed and even if I hold the valve seat closed for the pilot, air is still free flowing out around the main valve........

How do you adjust out a free-flow?
NB I haven't even got them on the bench yet as I am away at the coast diving ....I'll be home later today....but I dont want to bust anything by opening/adjusting them in the wrong way before I get the manual :(

Thanks
Al.

Hi Al,

There is only one screw you can ajust in the Omega II .
You will find it under the purge button cap.
Just a small screw on the membrane,make sur to make VERY small adjustments
good luck.

Cheers :coffee:

Evert

According to Oxyhacker (Vance Harlow) that screw is the lever height adjuster. Adjustment procedure is to get it freeflowing (you're there) and then back out in 45 degree turn increments till it stops. He notes that they may freeflow as you enter the water if it is held wrong and you don't want to try to adjust that out.

Hmm, thanks for the feedback but I dont think thats the problem at all....why....cos when I take the entire 2nd stage plastic body off the valve by removing the knurled metal ring...the valve still free flows at the end of the hose, ie *without* the diagprahm pressing on it in any way.
So it looks as though something 'further back' in the valve (ie the main valve seat?) Is free flowing.
So I take it that there is no adjustment in that area?
Just about to strip it so I guess I'll find out...but was hoping someone could give me some pointers (or an exploded diagram).

Al.

Worked it out myself when I stripped the 2nd stage. There is a big fat diaphragm/valve sitting at the end of the LP inlet. Seems the principle of the valve is that this sits flat against the and of the hose forming a seal until until a drop in pressure on the other side (from the pilot) cause it to distort forward and let the air flow. These diaphragms go hard over time and dont properly sit flat against the inlet - causing the free flow. No adjustment - just replace. Got one from my LDS and the reg is just fine now :)

Back
Top Bottom