• Yes, it gave me the skills to assess risk and to survive emergencies

Votes: 58 31.2%
  • For the most part

Votes: 85 45.7%
  • No, I needed to learn a lot more to be safe within the certification limits

Votes: 43 23.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People talk in generalities about less than great instructors but P-foot around and won't or can't (due to libel/slander) say particular instructors suck. I think I've had about 9 different instructors for different things over the years. The tally is about 4 bad: 5 good. How is even a savy consumer supposed to avoid the sucky ones if nobody will call them out by name?

We need a wall of shame.
NO NO NO. Look theres two ways of dealing with the same issue.
Rather than giving bad instructors brickbats the answer is to repeatedly tell people about the GOOD instructors or dive companies.
Go figure the good guys get more students.
What then happens is that the "bad" instructors become one of two groups. One group goes "holey cow whats going on?" and makes efforts to improve their style or their areas of weakness.
The other group just ends up whithering up and disapearing.

I DO FEEL THOUGH. There seems to be this view that instructors are some kind of demi gods. As such incapable of having a bad day or just not jelling with a trainee or group of trainees. Guess what folks? They are human.
Heck I've been there,done that. (not in diving)

Ok maybee I've been lucky with the instruction I've recieved so far,or maybee I know what style works for me (or maybee I'm a kiwi idiot spouting utter rubbish)
What I know is I chose my instructors based on what works for me.
Incidently that style is total little hitler in the water followed by nice aproachable person post dive. Its pretty darn clear to me when I mess up so talking it through afterwards is really important.

Incidently how many of you that had a bad experience with an instructor actually took the time to let them know?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom