Adding weights to the back of backplate setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pair of the dgx trim pouches...I am always concerned that the velcro will pop open and the weight will fall out.

-Z
I oriented the pouches so that the opening is "surface UP" so that during typical handling there is little if any force on the cover flap. They are also covered by the wing in this application and the weights are actually pinched against the sidewall by the tank in the case of the Freedom Plate (narrow).

I chose them because they allowed me to orient them on a vertical strap"UP" and I really like that they are a thin material so that they don't add a lot of bulk.

I don't know about you but try bringing your knees closer to your chest when wearing a 7mm wet suit and 20lb of lead on Your waist and you might cramp instead. Anyway, might work in warm waters but not in Ontario waters. Thx anyway for your suggestion

What? 7mm top/5mm bottom + around 20lbs and I float around like an otter on my back all the time. Adjust how much air you have in your wing. Only reason I get cramps is from running 20 miles the day before a dive.

I dont have the problem you describe but wanted a more elegant solution to add weight to my backplate, when diving a drysuit, than using zipties. I recently purchased a set of Techline long trim weight pockets. They thread on the pair of cam straps and slide all the way against the backplate and hug the tank.

Inside each pocket are velcro separators to compartmentalize the bags/blocks of weight chosen so that it can be placed higher or lower along the plate as needed. Each pocket can hold 3 x 2kg blocks (just over 13lb each side).

because the straps that the cam straps thread through are sectioned, in addition to moving the weights within them, the pockets themselves can be mounted higher or lower as needed....they come with an adjustable strap to stabilize the pockets along the tank should the they be mounted low on the plate.
Zef, I like this a lot.

I dont have the problem you describe but wanted a more elegant solution to add weight to my backplate, when diving a drysuit, than using zipties. I recently purchased a set of Techline long trim weight pockets. They thread on the pair of cam straps and slide all the way against the backplate and hug the tank.
[snip]
-Z

@Zef Wondering if I might ask a favor when you get an opportunity. I was thinking about getting those for a new plate project I'm working on, but I can't find dimensions for them. I'd like to use them mounted directly to the plate if possible and I am wondering if it might also be a solution for carrying the Custom Divers PLB canister.
If you do get a chance some time ...
What is the overall length (length of the mounting webbing would actually be very useful too)?

Would a 3" dia. x 5" long (75mm dia x 125mm long) cylinder fit in the sections?

I've seen some descriptions that talk about velcro dividers, but it is not clear and I cant find specs beyond weight capacity anywhere.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

@Zef Wondering if I might ask a favor when you get an opportunity. I was thinking about getting those for a new plate project I'm working on, but I can't find dimensions for them. I'd like to use them mounted directly to the plate if possible and I am wondering if it might also be a solution for carrying the Custom Divers PLB canister.
If you do get a chance some time ...
What is the overall length (length of the mounting webbing would actually be very useful too)?

Would a 3" dia. x 5" long (75mm dia x 125mm long) cylinder fit in the sections?

I've seen some descriptions that talk about velcro dividers, but it is not clear and I cant find specs beyond weight capacity anywhere.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

No problem, I just pulled one off my setup to bring inside and measure for you.

I think you would be able to put your PLB in it just fine. Here are some pictures of the inside. The first specifically shows some of the velcro tabs inside to section off the pockets, and the 2nd shows a can of green beans positioned inside, the can is @75mm diameter x @112mm long, the 3rd picture is the pocket with the can zipped inside, plenty of room to spare:

133357107_222978132747753_3882455891057327090_n.jpg

133431883_3601020513278412_131048281388173624_n.jpg

133357107_303421537751757_8127990796089757416_n.jpg

The only issue is you might not be able to reach the PLB yourself without removing your rig from your back, but if that is not an issue for you then I think this would work just fine as means to carry it. And you can certainly add grommets to the webbing to secure the pockets with book screws/sex bolts to your plate. or you can use zipties or utility cord to tie it to the plate

Here are the measurements:
Overall length: @ 40cm
Overall width: @ 12cm

Lengths of sections of webbing on the back that the cam straps pass through:
Overall length: @ 35.5cm (33cm usable length, as the overall length includes the bar tacks securing the webbing to the pocket)
Top section of webbing: @ 7cm between bar tacks
Middle section of webbing: @ 17.5cm between bar tacks
Bottom section of webbing: @ 7cm between bar tack

If you need/want any other pictures or info just let me know.

-Z

I think those tecline pockets would work great if you needed to sidemount dive with a plate. It could be affixed to the plate itself and give you good trim control similar to the stealth.

According to Tecline's store locator on their website it does not seem like there is a North American distributor of their products. I see DRIS lists a set of their rock boots and a drysuit undergarment. Perhaps they can special order Tecline products.

If anyone in the US wants a set of these pockets or other Tecline gear and they can't source them locally then direct message me. You can purchase them and have them sent to my house (shipping from the following website is free in Belgium and Netherlands on orders totaling 65 euros or more)...then I can forward what you purchase via USPS through the military post office on the base where I work.

Tecline Trim pockets long pair, black (max. 6kg/pc) bij sublub

-Z

Thanks, @Zef !!!!!!

As soon as my plate comes in (Golem reverse-profile Stream) I'll cross check the measurements, but I think that should work. I was planning on adding weight pockets anyway, but this solves the PLB canister stowage and other emergency supplies too.

Taking the rig off to remove the pocket probably isn't a big deal in the scheme of things if I'm needing my PLB ...

I do appreciate the offer on the shipping and I may take you up on it. I'd really like the (new?) orange version (Trim pockets long pair, orange (max. 6kg/pc) | Tecline Catalog) as I am adding high vis color accessories where I can for easier ID. DiveStock has the black version but I have to see how bad the direct shipping hit is and if they can get the orange version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom