Adding weights to the back of backplate setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

0ctoman

Registered
Reaction score
How do you add weights to the back of a backplate to ensure you do not lean forward when on a vertical position?, ie: when waiting for the boat to pick you up. You advice with picture would be greatly appreciated

I don't add weight. I just change my position. What I mean by that is:

Fully inflate my wing. Then I bring my knees closer to my chest. Think sitting in a chair. That allows me to shift my weight backward. Holding me in an extremely comfortable position with my head clear out of the water. I could stay like that for hours.

By adding weight to help you at the surface you could be drastically effecting your buoyancy below the surface. It's easier to configure your body position at the surface to prevent the face first position you are describing.

Don't add weight. Put less air in your wing and lean back. You can't treat it the same as a lot of people use jackets, get to the surface and inflate until their eyeballs bulge out.

How do you add weights to the back of a backplate to ensure you do not lean forward when on a vertical position?, ie: when waiting for the boat to pick you up. You advice with picture would be greatly appreciated
I use small weight pouches on the bottom cam strap when needing to add weight in that area, currently with BPW and also did the same when using back inflate. In my case, this is done to remove weight from the weight belt and improve trim rather than issue with position on surface.
pox.jpg

I don't add weight. I just change my position. What I mean by that is:

Fully inflate my wing. Then I bring my knees closer to my chest. Think sitting in a chair. That allows me to shift my weight backward. Holding me in an extremely comfortable position with my head clear out of the water. I could stay like that for hours.

By adding weight to help you at the surface you could be drastically effecting your buoyancy below the surface. It's easier to configure your body position at the surface to prevent the face first position you are describing.

I don't know about you but try bringing your knees closer to your chest when wearing a 7mm wet suit and 20lb of lead on Your waist and you might cramp instead. Anyway, might work in warm waters but not in Ontario waters. Thx anyway for your suggestion

I use small weight pouches on the bottom cam strap when needing to add weight in that area, currently with BPW and also did the same when using back inflate. In my case, this is done to remove weight from the weight belt and improve trim rather than issue with position on surface.
View attachment 603248

Where did you get those pouches from? I found some Palantic on Amazon.ca but they felt flimsy. Your looks like made of a strong cordura material

Where did you get those pouches from? I found some Palantic on Amazon.ca but they felt flimsy. Your looks like made of a strong cordura material
The cordura weight pockets are XS Scuba version. I have a couple sets of these pockets, the older set has well over 500 dives on it and still going strong.

I don't know about you but try bringing your knees closer to your chest when wearing a 7mm wet suit and 20lb of lead on Your waist and you might cramp instead. Anyway, might work in warm waters but not in Ontario waters. Thx anyway for your suggestion

Even without the knees-to-chest part if you just don't inflate your wing fully and lean back as if you're floating on your back you'll be pretty cozy at the surface with your fin tips sticking out of the water.

When I started with BP/W, I wore a 20/10 farmer John beaver tail with tons of lead on plate and waist. A little hip bend, a little leaning back, not inflating to the max worked fine. Weight on the belt more central or back than forward.

ETA: steel plate, 3 lb in channel, rest on shoulder, chest, hip and weight belt, AL80.
I now add weight high on the plate, but that is so I can have a good bit on the belt yet still be in trim under water. Weight secured with zip ties through the slots and holes and gorilla tape. usually using 1 lb. ingots wrapped in gorilla tape to cover the lead.

Not to get into a measuring contest, but I dive in New England waters year round. Wet and dry. Sounds like you're searching for a solution to a problem that exists due to lack of mobility or skill, or both. Leaning back is the answer to your question.

You could reconfigure your gear. Get a weighted sta. (halcyon makes a 6lb one) that would allow you to drop 6 lbs from your belt. Maybe then with 14lbs on a belt you could lean back without getting cramps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom