Adding weight to doubles rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate all of the suggestions.

However, last night I said "wait a sec," and I just rigged the thing up, put it on my back, and felt around with it.

The tail weight is just peachy with the LP 85s and DSS 49# circular wing. Doesn't bug me in the slightest.

I haven't decided yet whether to put the tail weight over or under the wing, but I'll try it both ways in the water this weekend.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

I'm wondering if the added weight on the stages, depending on how heavy might end up making you a bit too heavy at the beginning of the dive. I guess you'd have to pick and choose the number of stages you put the weight on.

It's a trick 'what if' scenario. In theory you should weight yourself for the possibility that all tanks you are carrying may be nearly empty at the end of the dive, as the last thing you want is to miss the last few stops because of being too floaty.

What kind of diving are you doing? Fresh or Salt? Dry or Wet? The only extra weight I wear is a 2 lb tail weight hanging from the bottom bolt, but that is more for trim, than extra weight. But then again most of diving is in fresh water with a dry suit or a wetsuit. Depending on the exposure suit I wear, it's either steel cylinders for dry suit, or AL80 for wet. I dive steel cylinders in my wetsuit but prefer to not go that route since, my wing is almost completely inflated.

Pretty easy to build a tail weight extender with a spare piece of webbing ans some stainless bolts. Get the same size as your tank bolts so you don't have incompatible ones sitting around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom