Adding pockets to suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to add some pockets to my 5mm wet suit, but I noticed that pretty much all the aftermarket pockets are made of shell material.

Now there are 2 ways of attaching it, glue or stitching but since the neoprene stretches while the shell doesn't how would the two interact?

I am thinking of pre-stretching the neoprene suit and then stitching the pocket on, then sealing the stitch with a tape or some sort of seal to lessen the water movement and the chance of tearing......but I am still worried about the difference in the materials.

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

I am thinking of adding this:
ba088948.jpg
ba088951.jpg
, this: or this:
bca140.jpg
-- what do you think?

I had a pocket sewn on my 5mil. The secret is to mark off where pocket goes while you are wearing the suit with tailors chalk/ soap.

I took mine to a cobbler and he streched the suit out so that the pocket lined up with the marks I made on the suit. That way, when the suit of off, the pocket bunches up a little, but when I'm wearing it, it evens out.

Hope this helps!

send a PM to Corigan (or Corrigan) and ask him what he uses...

he's got a set of "scuba shorts" that are made to wear over a wetsuit with huge cargo pockets. looks like a much better solution.

I have a custom wetsuit with pockets. It's interesting in that it uses the base of the thigh as the back of the pocket instead of an entire pocket sewn or glued to the suit.

Inherently, this design seems economical, while easily able to stretch without popping a seam or ripping off the nylon of the suit. The suit was made by Wetwear.

I would bet that a tailor could easily fabricate this type of a pocket from loose pieces of neoprene?

mike_s:
send a PM to Corigan (or Corrigan) and ask him what he uses...

he's got a set of "scuba shorts" that are made to wear over a wetsuit with huge cargo pockets. looks like a much better solution.

No shorts sorry.

Mr.X:
I have a custom wetsuit with pockets. It's interesting in that it uses the base of the thigh as the back of the pocket instead of an entire pocket sewn or glued to the suit.

Inherently, this design seems economical, while easily able to stretch without popping a seam or ripping off the nylon of the suit. The suit was made by Wetwear.

I would bet that a tailor could easily fabricate this type of a pocket from loose pieces of neoprene?

Thought about that as well, but I am trying to keep to cost down. It is easier to buy the pockets and attach them then to have them made from scratch.

Tamas:
Thought about that as well, but I am trying to keep to cost down. It is easier to buy the pockets and attach them then to have them made from scratch.

Given the price of dive accesories DIY would be very attractive if you can get the material without having to get it by the yard. gluing and stitching are faily easy if you just take your time and you'll be doing someting to mount the purchased pocket anyway.

BTW, does anyone have a good source for material?

Pete

Tamas:
No shorts sorry.

Tell us how you get on. I am currently trying to fit new pockets on my laminate dyrsuit. The X pockets from 5th Dimension are a tad too large and a lot of nylon pockets do not have neoprene backing. Halcyon had something too, but was ridiculously priced.

Tamas:
Those Bare pockets can be had for $39 at Divetank.com, and I think they might have a neoprene backing.

Cheers. I'll drop them an e-mail. I like the "B" logo!!!

Back
Top Bottom