Adding pockets to suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sew the pocket to a piece of thin neoprene, i.e., 2mm. Sew the neoprene to the wetsuit. By the way, the new FifthD pockets seem cheaply made with thinner material.

Just spoke to Bare, and their pockets have neoprene backing....so perhaps attaching them would be that much easier.

Now the on-going question: glue or stitch? Would the stitching rip? What if it was stitched and taped like drysuits?

I am just not fond of the glued look, I have not seen one suit yet that looks good, most of the turn out like someone wiped their nose in the suit (wet or dry) - imo it looks horrible and I would be more worried about it coming apart or ruining the suit if I were to glue it.

You can sew a section of thin belt to the suit leaving the middle un sewn and do the same to the pocket and have the 2 sections of thin belt or strap over lap each other creating the attachment. The pocket may be on loose depending on how wide flexible the straps are and how loose you make them.

Let us know how things work. I'm looking to add pockets to both my and my wife's 3mm. I'm still torn about how to do it, it it is worth the effort, or if getting the dorky pocket-shorts is the best way to go.

fwiw - here are the different pockets I've tried on my wetsuits http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba/#wetsuit (the last pattern is the pocket used on my drysuit pockets) At first I used material from old duffel bags, but for the last project I bit the bullet and ordered several yards of nylon packcloth - the glue seems to be holding up after 10 dives, with no peeling corners etc.. (drysuit) the pockets I stitched on my wetsuits held up well also, though one of the corners has developed a hole in the neoprene about 1/2" across.

Have fun - My next project will be pockets on all my loaner wetsuits...

I was doing a little monkey-see monkey-do about those pockets. Shorts with pockets are very dorky - especially on me. I do not need any more emphasis on my lower half. I got a complete yard of black cordura, some Tear Mender adhesive and some rubberized mesh, big industrial velcro to make my pocket all for under $15. I'm adding this to the thigh of a 3 mil wetsuit. I'm sewing the pocket together myself this evening but wondered about the gluing. Should I stretch the fabric (say via the yellow pages phone book) glue and let set or simply glue on the unstretched fabric?

I stripped the webbing off an old DiveRite thigh pocket that was designed to attach to your harness and then around your leg. It's been glued to my wetsuit for about 1/2yr without any issues. I only used a partial tube of Aquaseal to hold it on, but I would recommend 2-3 coats of glue.

A pocket is great on a wetsuit. I've added one to both suits now.

I went to the local custom wetsuit shop and they quoted me $20 to add a pocket out of 3mm wetsuit materal with a velcro closure. Is there anything wrong with using wetsuit materal for the pocket? What are the right dementions for it? I was also going to add a smaller inner pocket for holding wet notes and dive tables. Any thoughts on the subject. I am about to down there an a couple of hours to get it set up and speak with somone in english. Any sugestions would be great

My first couple of pockets were out of neoprene... had I done a better job gluing them on they would have worked ok - though I'd rather they were larger (if you want a large bellows pocket, you can use the pattern on my site http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba ) Also the best glue I've used so far has been Dapwood Contact Cement from the hardware store - 3-4 coats, rolled down with a 1" wooden wallpaper roller. No edges peeling after 15 dives yet... They also make a neoprene based contact cement I saw at my hardware store... though I don't have a lot of experience, and others would say to avoid the hardware store variety contact cements.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom