Adding Magnifiers to Prescription Masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kablooey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a couple old masks with prescription lens installed.
I'd like to put magnifiers in them so I can read my gauges, but I've been told that's impossible because of the curve of the prescription glass.

Is it possible to stick the magnifiers to the outside of the glass?

Any other solutions?

Best way is to try. Stick the lenses on the front (make sure that it's removable) and try it in a pool.

(Personally, I would get a new mask with a custom Rx).

I took a plain non prescription mask and glued the following lens
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B002KAMP7O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
on the right side (for one eye only) and it works great for reading my computer.

I chose the +3 diopter (my reading on land lens is +2.5) but we read compters very close to eyes so the extra magnification helps. The only caveat is the mask glass has to be flat on the inside to mate with the stick on lens. The lens comes with a special glue- you apply two small drops on the flat part of the lens and it cures with UV or sunlight.

I have a couple old masks with prescription lens installed.
I'd like to put magnifiers in them so I can read my gauges, but I've been told that's impossible because of the curve of the prescription glass.

Is it possible to stick the magnifiers to the outside of the glass?

Any other solutions?

I have done and it worked fine for me. Prescription was close to +6 and the curve was helpful because the stick on magnifiers curve was "similar". Others have tried magnifiers on flat lenses and they peel off. I have been using the same stick on pair for 6 months and no issues.

See the report I posted at: Mask, Vision correction, cheaters & none

Sherwood has the Mag 4 which has a +1.75 magnifying lens on the bottom of the
mask . That is the only correction that is offered , good if you need cheaters to see
your gauges ! I am sure it is available at any Sherwood dealer .

Sea Dwellers

Here's an update on my search for an add-on magnifier for prescription dive masks...

I followed the link provided by dbnewton and learned about Hydrotac Stick-on Bifocal Lenses (OPTX 20/20)- +2.50 Diopter.
These are somewhat flexible add-on lenses, which sounded like the right fit for the curvature of prescription lenses.
The price was very reasonable ($15 for two lenses), so I placed my order with Amazon.

I installed one Hydrotac lens on the left side of two of my older prescription masks. The Hydrotac lenses are soft enough to trim with a sharp pair of scissors, and flexible enough to conform to the curvature of my prescription lenses.
I made several attempts to effectively position them. The fact that I could "refloat" and reposition the lenses was very helpful in this. Eventually, after several attempts, I was happy with the installations.

Although I have not yet had the chance to dive with the modified prescription masks, I am very happy with the results. Now I have two great back-up masks which would have been junk if not for the great advice I received here on Scubaboard.

I already have two new primary prescription masks which have full bifocal capability, manufactured by Prescription Dive Masks of San Diego.
My interest in add-on lenses was only a way to save a couple old non-bifocal masks, so I could use them as back-ups.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom