Adding a ring to my hip area of my backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I have a DiveRite 1.5lb steel backplate and would like to add a ring to the bottom right (and right) of the backplate. Problem is there are only holes to place a boltsnap or split ring. I have one of those angled webbing D-ring, are there any issues with welding the thing on? I've also considered marine grade zip ties.
Added pic of my backplate, the D-ring isn't exact but close enough.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• backplate.PNG
    backplate.PNG
    84.2 KB · Views: 45
  • dring.PNG
    dring.PNG
    151.4 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: OTF
To add an additional spot to clip things off, for instance when I don't want to wear my scuba cargos for my smb.

Why don’t you just clip the SMB to your hip or butt D ring? Or use 2 bungees to secure the SMB?

Hi,

I have a DiveRite 1.5lb steel backplate and would like to add a ring to the bottom right (and right) of the backplate.
What you want is a welded ring bolt. I had the exact same issue in that I wanted to keep my fish elevators behind me but didn't want to deal with a 'floppy' ring. I bolted this item and it's simple to attach and re-attach my fish floats.

Just clip items to your crotch strap? Having a welded ring sticking out from the backplate sounds like a potential snag point, that can't be cut free.

Hi,

I have a DiveRite 1.5lb steel backplate and would like to add a ring to the bottom right (and right) of the backplate. Problem is there are only holes to place a boltsnap or split ring. I have one of those angled webbing D-ring, are there any issues with welding the thing on? I've also considered marine grade zip ties.
Added pic of my backplate, the D-ring isn't exact but close enough.

Thanks in advance
Welding stainless steel is a PITA and you'll likely have corrosion issues.
I use a pair of these on the waist belt that is scooted all the way up to the backplate to clip things off of I'm diving in a bathing suit

Take a look at the hardware section of Piranha Dive Mfg. They have a lot of options like Long Drop D-Ring w/ NO Teeth or various welded D-rings which you can mount where your belt passes through the plate, or just slide on the belt towards the back. Or even drill some holes and bolt to the backplate directly.

Having clip-offs back there is great for carrying gear in a streamlined location. Sidemount butt pouches aren't just for sidemount.

yeah, that sort of ring wants to be solidly fixed so not flopping around. Stainless to stainless certainly could be welded without corrosion issues by a knowledgeable welder and if you know the alloys.....but if I were doing that project I'd think about riveting it or bolting it.
but I'd go for a more traditional D-Ring solution like others have mentioned personally.... KISS principle
and another but... for your marker bouy.... I have a single backplate for Halcyon I bought 20 some odd years ago. It has a nice fabric pad that attaches to the backplate, acts like a pad between the plate and my back. It's basically an open ended bag, with the opening at the bottom and the deflated bouy stuffs inside.... easy to grab and deploy. It's been a long time since I dove it but I'm pretty sure I attached the bouy's bolt snap directly through a hole in the plate to secure it.... (or did I have a D-Ring back there?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom