Question How do you secure a Dive Rite QB Weight Pocket mounted vertically?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryebrye

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
these things:
20 lb QB Weight Pocket - Dive Rite

Apparently they USED to have two straps on the back, and it was simple to use a triglide to keep them in place - as seen in this video:

So simple, right? They changed the design, now it's not as easy.

It's just got a single band on the back... On my left side, it seems like it will stay in place OK between the backplate and the hip D-ring (it might slide around a little, but not much), but on the right side I don't (yet) have a D-ring over there - do I just need to add a right-side D-ring on a triglide to keep the weight pocket in place? Adding a d-ring that I never intend to clip anything to on the right side seems kind of dumb, but it'd be better than a weight pocket sliding all around

Any better ideas? I've seen these things:

Those seem like they would work also.

So to answer my own question - it turns out that the new design does work with a triglide - it's just different from before and if you really want to lock it in place you have to use two triglides (one on each side)... but a triglide wont slide through it so it acts as a stopper for it.

So I just watched the video...It shows you mount the Dive Rite pocket with the weight pocket insertion at the top. Is that correct? I thought most dump handles are at the bottom of the weight pocket when mounted?

So I just watched the video...It shows you mount the Dive Rite pocket with the weight pocket insertion at the top. Is that correct? I thought most dump handles are at the bottom of the weight pocket when mounted?
They tend to show their dump handles at the top. They seem like they would work fine facing downwards as well.

What's interesting about the Dive Rite ones is that they don't seem to really be super easy to dump - certainly not as easy as ones I've used on jacket BCs that slid out horizontally - not because of the orientation but because in addition to the buckle that clicks in (and you can pull out with some force) there's a velcro strip that runs from the holder to the weight pouch that doesn't seem to release (at least not on land) without me pulling it off manually. So it's sort of a three-step process. Step one: pull the handle. Step 2: undo the velcro. Step 3: finish pulling out the weights.

So they are releasable, but I don't know how "quick" it is. I think having them with the handles up top seems fine I can reach back and grab it ok and it will be easy to pull out to get onto a boat etc pulling up vs pulling down.

Maybe some people mount them the other way? I'm all ears if anyone has opinions on pros / cons of the different approaches

You don't need 2 tri-glides. I recommend using a plastic tri-glide but a metal one will work too:

1. Place tri-glide over the webbing strap on the back of the QB weight pocket.
2. Thread harness waist strap through one side of tri-glide and then under the QB pocket webbing strap, then through the other side of the tri-glide.

The above will capture the pocket in place on the harness via the tri-glide. Here is pick of mine as an example:

1648134921702.jpeg

Don't be too concerned if the QB pocket strap seems to bunch up a bit as it will be covered by the tri-glide and you won't feel it through your exposure suit...its also why I use plastic tri-glides for this as they tend to be a bit wider and sit nicer for this application than metal ones.

Per the Dive Rite videos, the pockets are designed to be mounted so the handles are at the top when mounted vertically...but one can mount them however one wishes. The plastic quick release buckles are a bit stiff when new, and to be honest I have had mine for a handful of years now and they remain fairly stiff...this is a good thing because it keeps the pockets from unintentionally falling out, as sometimes/often happens with the pocket designs of many BCD with removable weight pockets.

When the s%^$t is hitting the fan, and adrenaline is flowing, the Dive Rite QB pockets will release without issue.

Be sure to include as part of your buddy check how your pockets release...I state "to release my weights in an emergency, pull the grey handles until the weight pockets separate from the holsters and continue pulling until they separate from the velcro". If I have never dived with that person before, I will demonstrate as I am stating the this.

The velcro strap is just extra retention security and early version of these pockets didn't have it. You can always cut the strap off or otherwise not engage it in use.

BTW,

I I custom designed how I attach my pockets to my harness so that my shoulder straps are adjustable and the pockets remain in place...the reason why I have a metal tri-glide and D-rings outboard of the pocket is because I have the D-ring ring captured by the tri-glide mounted on the same system so it does not move either when the shoulder straps are adjusted. The other D-ring is a half-height ring that the waist strap goes through (not depicted) to keep the webbing the pocket is mounted on from flopping away when my backplate is worn.

I made a post about this about a year ago or so. DM me for more info if interested.

-Z

They tend to show their dump handles at the top. They seem like they would work fine facing downwards as well.

What's interesting about the Dive Rite ones is that they don't seem to really be super easy to dump - certainly not as easy as ones I've used on jacket BCs that slid out horizontally - not because of the orientation but because in addition to the buckle that clicks in (and you can pull out with some force) there's a velcro strip that runs from the holder to the weight pouch that doesn't seem to release (at least not on land) without me pulling it off manually. So it's sort of a three-step process. Step one: pull the handle. Step 2: undo the velcro. Step 3: finish pulling out the weights.

So they are releasable, but I don't know how "quick" it is. I think having them with the handles up top seems fine I can reach back and grab it ok and it will be easy to pull out to get onto a boat etc pulling up vs pulling down.

Maybe some people mount them the other way? I'm all ears if anyone has opinions on pros / cons of the different approaches
Mounting the pocket right side up is a safety feature to prevent your weight from falling out unexpectedly underwater and sending you flying out of control to the surface.

You don't need 2 tri-glides. I recommend using a plastic tri-glide but a metal one will work too:

1. Place tri-glide over the webbing strap on the back of the QB weight pocket.
2. Thread harness waist strap through one side of tri-glide and then under the QB pocket webbing strap, then through the other side of the tri-glide.

The above will capture the pocket in place on the harness via the tri-glide. Here is pick of mine as an example:

View attachment 713966

Don't be too concerned if the QB pocket strap seems to bunch up a bit as it will be covered by the tri-glide and you won't feel it through your exposure suit...its also why I use plastic tri-glides for this as they tend to be a bit wider and sit nicer for this application than metal ones.

Per the Dive Rite videos, the pockets are designed to be mounted so the handles are at the top when mounted vertically...but one can mount them however one wishes. The plastic quick release buckles are a bit stiff when new, and to be honest I have had mine for a handful of years now and they remain fairly stiff...this is a good thing because it keeps the pockets from unintentionally falling out, as sometimes/often happens with the pocket designs of many BCD with removable weight pockets.

When the s%^$t is hitting the fan, and adrenaline is flowing, the Dive Rite QB pockets will release without issue.

Be sure to include as part of your buddy check how your pockets release...I state "to release my weights in an emergency, pull the grey handles until the weight pockets separate from the holsters and continue pulling until they separate from the velcro". If I have never dived with that person before, I will demonstrate as I am stating the this.

The velcro strap is just extra retention security and early version of these pockets didn't have it. You can always cut the strap off or otherwise not engage it in use.
Here's what I say to my buddy about "releasing" my weights: "Hey, buddy, here's the deal. There will NEVER be an occasion when I will want you, myself, or anyone else to dump my weights. I have no interest in being made artificially positively buoyant at depth and risking an uncontrolled ascent that may cause DCS or other problems. I have placed the correct amount of weight in the proper locations on my rig to optimize my trim and buoyancy, and I prefer to keep it that way. Please do not ever attempt to remove any weight from me when we are underwater, and I will provide you this same courtesy because I value your life as much as my own. Thanks."

Here's what I say to my buddy about "releasing" my weights: "Hey, buddy, here's the deal. There will NEVER be an occasion when I will want you, myself, or anyone else to dump my weights. I have no interest in being made artificially positively buoyant at depth and risking an uncontrolled ascent that may cause DCS or other problems. I have placed the correct amount of weight in the proper locations on my rig to optimize my trim and buoyancy, and I prefer to keep it that way. Please do not ever attempt to remove any weight from me when we are underwater, and I will provide you this same courtesy because I value your life as much as my own. Thanks."

Wow, what a doughy Mcdouch type of post.

I brief my buddy on how to remove my weights so that if the occasion arises that they need to establish positive buoyancy on the surface they will hopefully remember the dive brief/buddy check and not struggle to figure it out.

Of course, I would expect them to cut my harness and such to remove my BP/W, but dropping my weights first will facilitate removing it instead of the plate/wing straps getting twisted or snagging on my partner attempting to rescue me and having to contend with that.

I typically don’t enter the water with the expectation that I might possibly become unconscious or suffer other injury/illness, but I want my partner to be educated and aware so if that off-chance arises they are more prepared to deal with the crisis.

You can brief your partners and dive however you want. If I was to have a buddy check/brief like what you explained, I would suddenly come down with the “not feel wells” and head back to my car or sit out the dive on the boat. I have done enough diving in my life that I have no reason and even less motivation to get in the water with a douch bag of a dive buddy.

Good luck to you, sir.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom