• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Adding 2x Sola 1200 to GoPro; useful or waste of money?

Discussion in 'GoPro and Action Cams' started by JasperLuijkx, Jun 13, 2019.

1. BLACKCRUSADER

BLACKCRUSADER Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Go Pro Hero4 and one Big Blue VL4200P on a wrist strap for my first test.

I just bought a TG6 and have two Big Blue VL4200P and will mount my go pro on the TG6 housing as it's still good for 2.7k wide screen video. Screen shot of my DIY camera platform with the TG6 but had the Go Pro where the TG6 was before.

Attached Files:

2. Boglefish

Boglefish Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Here’s some video I made last month with a Hero7 two 1200 sola lights setup on a Tray.

3. mostlyirish

mostlyirish Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    What housing are you using for the Hero 6?

4. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Personally I find the Sola 1200s and 2000s quite adequate for close shots. As for the ultra high lumen lights, I think they are a disaster for marine life.

5. large_diver

large_diver Loggerhead Turtle

I use just the supersuit housing that came with the 6. The obvious good news about the 6 and newer GoPros (at least for the flood-prone like me) is that the cameras themselves are waterproof to about 30 feet without the housing. I flooded the housing this past Satuday during a 2 dive charter...fortunately on dive 2. Pretty much as soon as I got to the bottom I could see a line of water sloshing aruond in the housing. The camera did function on dive 2, but the moisture in the housing blurred the footage (I do use the moisture munchers on every dive). Battery and memory card were fine. Below are images extracted from the footage on dive 1. We only dove to about 35 feet on dive 2. I did change the battery on the boat between dives....which is where I must have caught something in the o-ring. I did not change the memory card between dives.

I bought the 6 in July 2018 and have used it for exactly 50 dives. I've flooded this model 2x in that time.....camera survived both times. I noticed a hair on the first flood....this time I didn't see any obvious cuprit for the flood. This is pretty much the story I've experienced with GoPro OEM housings - they are OK with loving care, but eventually they will fail. I've flooded a Hero 3, a 4 and now the 6 during the past 5-6 years. The 3 and 4 did not survive even when following some of the resuscitation proceeds (rice, etc.)

These were taken with a Hero6, dual Sola 2100 video lights, Backscatter macromate mini lens and Backscatter green water (magenta) filter for the selfie shot. Recorded at 60FPS, linear, 2.7k.

Labor%20day%202019%20%283%20of%203%29-XL.jpg
    Labor%20day%202019%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg
    Labor%20day%202019%20%281%20of%201%29-5-XL.jpg

6. mostlyirish

mostlyirish Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Thanks for the reply and information regarding your experience with the GP OEM housings. It will help with my decisions. Your shots are great and I'm glad I made the decision to add the Macromate mini lens to my purchase.

large_diver likes this.