Added tourniquet to my thigh pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I am a certified Instructor for a civilian entity and have military and civilian certs, but the reminder of liability and indemnification is certainly well received and should be considered by all. Since the majority of what I teach is self aid, the “duty to act within the scope of training” is generally placed on the individual for self care.

QuikClot,
Yes we have moved away from that and on to a gauze impregnated with a hemostatic or clotting agent like Celox. You can pack a non-compressible bleed with it along with direct pressure. I’ve never used it but I’m told it works well but difficult to perform on one’s self. I have used QC in a laboratory setting several times and it works wonderfully but takes at least two people and of course the exothermic issue is dangerous. Definitely not self aid.

One last thing about first aid training, something I often do with others who are First Aid or Emergency First Responder certified is to go through their kit and review how to use stuff and when. One of the biggest deficiencies is how to manage and secure airways. I have a training dummy that I use to practice the application of nasopharyngeal airways. It amazes me that people carry these and do not understand how to use them. It is an EFR level skill that most have not practiced yet it is absolutely a slam dunk on securing an airway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom