How to add weight pouches to my rEvo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Obviously my weighting will be different but here's what I do. You might be surprised that you don't need as much weight as you think in salt water.

In warm freshwater (65-75f) no weight required. Annoying with 2-3 AL80s since wing is very inflated.
In cold freshwater (37-65f) I use 2-4lbs (depending on what layers I use this includes an additional fleece vest and I like to be able to loft my undergarments.)
In saltwater I just use 8lbs (2x4lbs) on top of the unit. This works pretty well for me.

Thanks for that.

I was at 6 # in cold freshwater, with my thickest undies on. When I get my next chance, I will try dropping another 2 and see how that goes. But, to be sure I'm not too light, when I go in the ocean in a couple of weeks, I was thinking I would start with 10#. I will have a slightly thinner undergarment on, as well, so I THINK that will be more than enough, without having me ridiculously overweighted, either. I can cut down on the weight from there, to find what my minimum is.

And, that amount of weight means I can just go with 1 weight pouch on each cylinder and stuff a soft weight under the scrubber cover to have all the weight i need. That definitely works for me.

I think you're be able to get away without a weight belt through combination of top weight (even it's just 2lbs) + softweight in scrubber and your cylinder weights. Personally I wouldn't use those pockets on the tanks since I switch tanks often and I could see them possibly getting stuck on things (inside a wreck or cave) but if they work fine.

@Tug also mentioned another method which is to thread weights behind your harness. I don't like doing this and I find it pretty annoying but people do it.

Here is an example of that.
revo weights.jpg

Proper Kent tooling stand = 2.6kg on the bottom, 3.1 Kg on the top shelf and another 2.6kg hanging by a vertical bar bolted to the top back plate. All in all about 17lb’s dispersed between the bottom, middle and top.

Attachments

• 0DC5D4E6-1827-4737-8F21-B434DAFB5259.jpeg
    0DC5D4E6-1827-4737-8F21-B434DAFB5259.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 120
When I'm diving in thick underwear I use a 5 lb Dsix weight between my scrubbers and depending how cold it is, 2-4 lbs in a pouch on top of the unit. This summer I'll be trying a Fourth Element halo undergarment (which is quite lofty) so I'll be adding some weight, as I figure out how much more lead I need I'll use a weight belt—easier to make adjustments. My unit is a titanium micro, I usually dive it with 3 litre steel tanks but I've used carbon fibre tanks in the tropics with a 3 mil wetsuit and I'm neutral with one bailout. In my 7 mil wetsuit with the steel bottles I'm a little heavy on the surface but at depth, with multiple AL bailout bottles, I'm kinda heavy. Much as I like to dive wet in tropical water I might start diving dry for the deeper stuff…

I attached two weight pockets (each for 2kg) on the waist belt of my rEvo just behind the lower D-rings. This gives 4 kg on the waist belt + 2 kg in the top weight pouch. If I need more (in cold water, ice diving) I add 1 or 2 kg with a normal weight belt.

I attached two weight pockets (each for 2kg) on the waist belt of my rEvo just behind the lower D-rings. (...)

Same for me. Found some pouches which the belt fits so tightly that I can shift them UW if needed but still maintain position.

WP_20190129_001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom