Add SPG to Divesoft Trimix analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I think I may have been 1 day premature on all the parts I ordered.

I think the info that the Divesoft flow limiter won't accept a PG is wrong.

Looking at the Pro Flow Limiter, the info says it has a plug on it, which you can clearly see, on the opposite side from the bleeder screw. I emailed Divesoft yesterday and I got back a very UNinformative email, except that it contained this link to an M12x1 -> G1/4 adapter.

Adapter M12x1 -> G1/4" | Divesoft

I THINK this means that I could remove the plug from the flow limiter, install this adapter, and then screw in a normal PG with 1/4" NPT threads.

Except that I don't really know what G1/4" is and if it's the same as 1/4" NPT. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

If this is correct, I think I will cancel/return my NESS order and go with the Divesoft Pro Flow Limiter and thread adapter. I guess I'll still need the PG from NESS....

G stands for Great Britain, those are standard STRAIGHT pipe threads (BSPP) and will not fit 1/4" NPT. Tapered threads (in general) are quite rare in Europe. My wife bought a British shower faucet for a remodel once, was from a Maryland USA importer so she had no idea who made it. I had to get adapters for all BSPP oring sealed connections to NPT - which was a major pain.

Your best bet is to start with all 1/4" NPT stuff. DIN to NPT, a NPT T & gauge. Then lastly add a locking needle valve to control your flow.

Right. I did some Googling and found out what G1/4 is. What I found was not really clear on whether you can screw a 1/4 NPT male thread into G1/4 female threads, but I figured that with 3500 psi behind it, it would probably be best to use threads that match.

So, why not source a PG with G1/4 threads? Surely they must be readily available in Europe?

Alternatively, source a G1/4 to 1/4 NPT adapter?

The cost of the Divesoft Pro Flow Limiter seems to be less than the total cost of putting together all these other pieces parts. And, it seems it would also yield a more compact solution. And, it has the correct orifice size to let me use the hose I already have, which also fits correctly into the inlet on the analyzer.

@stuartv :

again, August Industries to the rescue:

August Industries - Special Fittings

LOL! I went there and looked for PGs with G1/4 threads and didn't find any. Didn't think to look for an adapter.

However, in the meantime, I found PGs with G1/4 threads on both Amazon and eBay. And, generally, pretty inexpensive.

I'm considering either this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Thread-Reliable-0-5800PSI-0-400Bar/dp/B07CZJJNMH/

or this:

Pressure Gauge Glycerine 63mm G1/4bspp 0 - 400Bar/6000psi Rear | eBay (note that the picture is just an example and does not show the actual gauge range)

Any thoughts?

Or, even better, since Divesoft suggested their M12x1 -> G1/4 adapter, maybe I should just order this instead:

https://www.amazon.com/Female-M12X1-Metric-Adapter-Fitting/dp/B07FXNZQC2

It says it's a M12x1 -> 1/4 NPT adapter. So, that and any old PG with 1/4 NPT threads and I should be good to go, right?

Any concerns I should have with it being brass? Or using it for O2 service?

So, why not source a PG with G1/4 threads? Surely they must be readily available in Europe?
In PSI or bar?

Personally I don't screw around with metric anything unless I absolutely have to. Getting an adapter from August is probably the easiest approach if you really want to use that flow limiter, but by the time you get this all setup its going to be worn out lol

Okay, now I'm suspicious that the sexes on that adapter I just posted are backwards.

I think this is the correct part that I want:

Pipe NPT 1/4" Female X Metric M12 M12X1 Male Adapter Fitting Oil Fuel Air N-DT | eBay
There's no pressure rating on this so who knows if its good to 3500+ psi or not. There are tons of low (250ish psi) fitting out there for LP applications. This doesn't look beefy enough for high pressure to me but what do I know.

Without specific information provided/documented/verified, I'd be a little fearful of implementing components of questionable standards. This kind of stuff can do some damage....

In PSI or bar?

Both of the PGs I linked above have G1/4 threads and are in PSI (main) and Bar (inner).

Given the concerns about generic adapters and whether they can take 4000 psi, I'm leaning towards the Divesoft G1/4 adapter and one of the gauges I linked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom