Add deco bottle to sm bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is for me where the Nomad Ring Bungie System is good: Pull one attachment point forward to check everything out, and if needed swap bottles around.

Like DevonDiver, I would love to hear more options for how to do deco, (and anything else sidemount.)

Decompression bottles need to be mounted where you can see them. If you mount them on top and pull the reg from them without visually verifying the cylinder you are just asking for trouble. Top mounting stage bottles that contain the same mix as your sidemount bottles is perfectly acceptable but top mounting deco bottles is not. There are better, safer, more streamlined methods of mounting deco bottles.

Rob, I don't usually come into the SM forum and comment, but this is twice now that you've stated that you don't need to check MODs on stage bottles. Not looking at the sticker killed a good friend of mine a year ago because he thought he was switching to a stage bottle, and it wasn't.

Look at the sticker before you switch, and know what you're breathing. Its a simple and robust procedure, and if followed, can save your life.

agreed, I top mount my stage/deco bottle and before breathing it, its checked. I have no problems checking the sticker. The bottle MOD is checked, hose is deployed, followed to the bottle to verify that I have the right hose, and my dive team then also verifies the bottle before I will put that reg in my mouth.

Why the assumption that you cannot visually verify a stage, if top-mounted? I've had no problems with doing this (especially when mounted with bungees, not cord) - provided the stages are marked appropriately at the tank neck, facing the diver when worn.

Rob - would love to hear your thoughts on "better, safer, more streamlined" methods - I've still not established my own preference/decision on staging with sidemount, even after 100+ dives.

You must be mounting your stages differently than I am. I use bungees on my stages but I cannot see them when they are mounted on top of my sidemount bottles. I can see the SPG but that's only with pulling it out enough to see it. No way I would be able to see a sticker on it. Care to share a photo of how you are staging? I'd like to see how you're able to visually confirm your deco gas with the bottle on top.

PfcAJ:
Rob, I don't usually come into the SM forum and comment, but this is twice now that you've stated that you don't need to check MODs on stage bottles. Not looking at the sticker killed a good friend of mine a year ago because he thought he was switching to a stage bottle, and it wasn't.

AJ, re-read my post. I only top mount stages that carry EXACTLY the same gas as my sidemount cylinders. If the gas is different it gets bottom mounted so I can visually confirm my switch. Before mounting a stage on my back I visually confirm it is the same as my sidemount cylinders. I never stated MODs do not need to be checked. I just check them at a different time. I've been doing it this way for years and had no problems.

You must be mounting your stages differently than I am. I use bungees on my stages but I cannot see them when they are mounted on top of my sidemount bottles. I can see the SPG but that's only with pulling it out enough to see it. No way I would be able to see a sticker on it. Care to share a photo of how you are staging? I'd like to see how you're able to visually confirm your deco gas with the bottle on top.

AJ, re-read my post. I only top mount stages that carry EXACTLY the same gas as my sidemount cylinders. If the gas is different it gets bottom mounted so I can visually confirm my switch. Before mounting a stage on my back I visually confirm it is the same as my sidemount cylinders. I never stated MODs do not need to be checked. I just check them at a different time. I've been doing it this way for years and had no problems.

This also has to do with solo versus team diving. In a team, having someone else verify is possible (if slightly stupid). Solo there is just no way.

Doing it for years, huh? It only takes 1 mistake to do you (or one of your students if you're teaching this) to do you in.

This also has to do with solo versus team diving. In a team, having someone else verify is possible (if slightly stupid). Solo there is just no way.

I trust no one but myself.

PfcAJ:
Doing it for years, huh? It only takes 1 mistake to do you (or one of your students if you're teaching this) to do you in.

Again, re-read my post. You're obviously not getting it, but I guess if it's not DIR it's not right as far as you're concerned...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom