Adapter Fittings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aceboyd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found the suggested adapter fittings from Oxyhacker's book (scuba/o-ring to 1/4" NPT) ground off the end , added the o-ring but the threads were the wrong pitch. Too course. I searched through Lowe's and Home Depot for a fitting with the fine thread to no avail. Am I missing something here? Thanks for the assistance.

Looks like I need to add some background info. I assumed everyone possessed Oxyhacker's books. My apologies. ; ) This adapter allows one to hook any 1/4" NPT air line, IP guage, medical O2 mask/flowmeter, etc. to a standard scuba first stage LP port. Therefor it's a male end like a reg hose fitting wih the o-ring on one side, and a 1/4" NPT female on the other. In both "The Oxygen Hackers Companion" and his reg book (both HIGHLY recommended by the way) it suggests using 1/4" female NPT to male flare fittings, grinding off the flare part and adding an o-ring. I did just that, but when the moment of truth arrived...the threads were incorrect. I'm sure I'm missing something simple here. I must be starting with the wrong fittings as the threads are course and not fine. Help please...

Page 153 in the O2 companion and 224 in the reg book. Both of the sites listed above have what I'm looking for but I'm trying to determine why the instructions in the book did not work. Again, I'm guessing I got the wrong fittings somehow but not sure which ones would be correct. I bought them at Lowes for $1.25, ground off the nipple in just a few seconds each as they are brass and added free o-rings accquired from work for a very low total cost. Actually, I was on the clock while doing this so I made a nice net profit! lol But when I tried to attach them the threads were wrong. Perhaps the Hacker himself can enlighten me on this one? Thanks to all or the very helpful links and advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom