actual NDL calculations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP: I had the same problem when I started diving. I did mostly shore dives, which involve a long, slow descent and a similar ascent. Plotting these dives as having been spent at the maximum depth put them WAY off the charts for the RDP, but I was using a computer, and the computer said the dives were fine. Of course, the reason for this is that the computer is doing a real-time, iterative calculation of nitrogen loading and unloading. It is not possible to do that mentally, and it would be ridiculously time-intensive to try to do it on paper or on a calculator. That's why we have dive computers!

But it is really important to understand what a computer is actually doing, because what it does really doesn't have much to do with what is going on in your body. Nobody really knows the dynamics of nitrogen in the human body, but what we know is that the models we use result in limits that reduce the incidence of DCS to a very small number. The computer doesn't know if you are cold, or if you had to swim hard against current, or if you are 100 lbs overweight. And the diver needs to know if the output from the computer is making sense; if your computer is giving you numbers that are way out of line, you should recognize that, because machines malfunction, and a malfunction in this one can be very dangerous.

I would very, very highly recommend that anyone who is interested in this stuff, or who intends to dive more than very occasionally, spent the money to acquire Mark Powell's Deco for Divers. This is a book which pulls together a very large amount of information, and presents it in a palatable (and not math-intensive) way.

As Peter said, DIR divers use intense personal monitoring of depth and time, a depth averaging approach (the limits of which have to be understood) and an ascent strategy incorporating mandatory deco for all dives. It takes time to be able to monitor and remember your depth profiles well enough to use the system, and everyone should know that the only validation of doing dive monitoring this way is the number of safe dives that are done using it.

To the OP: I had the same problem when I started diving. I did mostly shore dives, which involve a long, slow descent and a similar ascent. Plotting these dives as having been spent at the maximum depth put them WAY off the charts for the RDP, but I was using a computer, and the computer said the dives were fine. Of course, the reason for this is that the computer is doing a real-time, iterative calculation of nitrogen loading and unloading. It is not possible to do that mentally, and it would be ridiculously time-intensive to try to do it on paper or on a calculator. That's why we have dive computers!

But it is really important to understand what a computer is actually doing, because what it does really doesn't have much to do with what is going on in your body. Nobody really knows the dynamics of nitrogen in the human body, but what we know is that the models we use result in limits that reduce the incidence of DCS to a very small number. The computer doesn't know if you are cold, or if you had to swim hard against current, or if you are 100 lbs overweight. And the diver needs to know if the output from the computer is making sense; if your computer is giving you numbers that are way out of line, you should recognize that, because machines malfunction, and a malfunction in this one can be very dangerous.

I would very, very highly recommend that anyone who is interested in this stuff, or who intends to dive more than very occasionally, spent the money to acquire Mark Powell's Deco for Divers. This is a book which pulls together a very large amount of information, and presents it in a palatable (and not math-intensive) way.

As Peter said, DIR divers use intense personal monitoring of depth and time, a depth averaging approach (the limits of which have to be understood) and an ascent strategy incorporating mandatory deco for all dives. It takes time to be able to monitor and remember your depth profiles well enough to use the system, and everyone should know that the only validation of doing dive monitoring this way is the number of safe dives that are done using it.

i like your posts and your way of explaining. let me try this

if you do a boat dive to a planned depth that allows 30 min bottom time and you use only 20 min of it and ascend at a rate different than the table used in the calculation. there should not be a dcs problem as you cut your bottom time short. yes there will be some inaccuracies. however they will be moot as you did not push the max bottom time. if this is a one dive day no foul but if repeditive divies are planned there may be a slight price to pay in time adjustment. would this be a correct statement.

if you do a boat dive to a planned depth that allows 30 min bottom time and you use only 20 min of it and ascend at a rate different than the table used in the calculation. there should not be a dcs problem as you cut your bottom time short. yes there will be some inaccuracies. however they will be moot as you did not push the max bottom time. if this is a one dive day no foul but if repeditive divies are planned there may be a slight price to pay in time adjustment. would this be a correct statement.
Right on the money.

TSandM - can you explain just what is an "assimilated medical mod". It is really only so much gibberish to me. :D

Her avatar used to be the Borg Queen (now it's the Borg Cupcake), she's a physician, and she's a Moderator. Thus Assimilated (borg), Medical (physician), Mod (moderator).

Still remembering that the table (or the readout on a computer) are still only a generalised approximation, intended to be a guideline only. Too many people seem to regard what their computer tells them as sacrosanct.

To put it another way, the distinction between an "earned" and an "unearned" hit is pretty spurious.

I view it otherwise. The table tells you were the cliff is, you use it as a guard rail to stay some ill-defined distance back, but definitely back, in any case. A computer tells you were you are, at every instant, with respect to the cliff. You use a computer to stay some well defined distance back and to recover without injury, even if you stray over.

You are right though, the distinction between an "earned" and an "unearned" hit is pretty spurious, especially if you are fond of ambulation as well as bladder, bowel or sexual function.

Borg Queen....? What is that?
Star Trek:

220px-Borg_Queen_2372.jpg

OK, I see the Star Trek connection - never been a fan of those films.

As to this mythical "cliff", if it were as simple as you say it would be - well - simpler. But extending your metaphor I liken it to the unstable cliffs on the Dorset coast in England, where you know there is a cliff but you don't know and have no way of knowing where it is until you've gone off the edge.

Back
Top Bottom