Actual experiences asking boat operators to provide larger or multiple cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a recent dive trip in which the operator normally supplied AL 80s, one member of my group requested a higher capacity tank, for which he paid extra. I have no idea why--his air consumption was excellent. They gave him an HP 100. On the first days he got the HP 100s, they were filled to 2,800 PSI. They explained that their compressor could not fill beyond that. Out AL 80s were usually filled to 3100-3200 PSI. He eventually got them to fill the HP 100s to 3,000, and for reasons I also did not understand, he did not complain. He paid extra to get roughly the same amount of gas (or less), and he ended each dive with more than 1,000 PSI.

The Agressor Okeanos II has some Al100s which I never saw filled to 3300 psi. The Cayman boat had a couple of HP 100s as I recall.

The shop I worked in would have a selection of larger cylinders available at no extra cost providing they were booked in advance. We had no problems with sling tanks, doubles or anything like that. Provided you were reasonable about how much space you took up on the boat you could bring what you want. The only condition was a little extra emphasis on divers ensuring they didn't intend to do deco dives and that they would follow the same time limits as everyone else.

I always get a 130 at God's Pocket with very good fills.
jealous!!! Ive heard nothing but fantastic things about them, they are booked like 2 years in advance and last i heard it was up for sale and no new bookings because their lease is running out.
Ive heard its some of the best cold water diving there is.

The lease was recently renewed for thirty years. Bill and Annie are retiring but there are a few offers on the table. We're going back there in August. There are spots available and it is the best diving anywhere, cold or warm. :)

No NJ boats I am aware of provide cylinders. Most limit divers to a set of doubles or two singles in which case a pony is required.

When diving sidemount I have used a third cylinder on occasion in the Bahamas and Florida. I’ll make the first dive with ‘my two’ cylinders. For the second dive I’ll grab an unused cylinder if no one needs it and make the second dive with a full and a partial left from the first dive. I ask the crew if they are ok with it before doing so.

Olympus in NC rents larger cylinders. I have rented two hp100s from them for a day trip.

I only ask when it is a personal dive trip. When heading to the gulf coast with students I know an AL80 is going to be more than fine. They will suck theirs down and we will be back on the boat together anyway.
When our LDS did Aqua Cat last year they did have AL100s. I had requested one beforehand but there seemed to be 8-10 of them that were in the rack and just stayed there all the time.

On the liveaboards I have done in the Red Sea, the operators have no issues in renting you a bigger tank (15l) for the week. Given that on both of those I was one of the newest divers and also one of the largest, my air consumption was always going to be above average. The extra size just allowed me to match the dive times of some of the others.

I only ask when it is a personal dive trip. When heading to the gulf coast with students I know an AL80 is going to be more than fine. They will suck theirs down and we will be back on the boat together anyway.
When our LDS did Aqua Cat last year they did have AL100s. I had requested one beforehand but there seemed to be 8-10 of them that were in the rack and just stayed there all the time.
All Star Liveaboards can accommodate AL100 requests on all of our Bahamas boats (Aqua Cat, Blackbeard's & Cat Ppalu). There is no surcharge. There is a limit on Blackbeard's simply due to space and storage for 100s.

Double tank side mount can be offered on Aqua Cat, but on a limited basis.

All Star - Indonesia and All Star - Philippines both have 100s available, but there is a minor surcharge.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom