Active Divers over the age of 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

52 started 2 years ago in August . Since then I have about 90 dives, in Roatan, Play Del Carmen, Cozumel, South Africa/Aliwal Shoal, Bonaire, Grand Turk and Nassau.

Older than 50, younger than 60. Was certified in 2010 in the Blue Hole, New Mexico, and swore I would never be a cold water diver. Strictly a recreational diver...no tech, rebreather, trimix, cave. Too much work! I only dive in tropical regions, mostly the Caribbean, to include all the islands that start with "St.", Hawaii, Mexico, and trips in the near future will be Indonesia, Australia, and Fiji. I hit 400 dives in January 2023 and on target to hit 500 by the end of this year.

I'm now 60 and Nat is in her 50's . We got certified in Canada a little over 10 years ago but now have gotten accustomed to the warmer waters of FL. Diving has become a passion for both of us that we do often and plan to share for as long as we can. If we stay healthy and in reasonable shape, I don't see why not. We would really miss it if we had to stop.

Usually, I'm the spotter, she's the photographer, and we come home and do fish IDs and ask some of you for help on SB when we can't ID. We've met some of you at the BHB, and exchanged dive resort reviews and pics with many more of you. We even ended up stumbling into a dive related business late in life with our DRYFOB containers. (haha. The plug!). To be honest, I didn't reply earlier because I was mildly offended that anyone would even consider 50 to be old .. but now as my birthday approaches I want to reply before I'm 'OVER-60'. My new motto below (stolen from someone else's SB post some time ago)

1684928554963.png

I'm now 60 and Nat is in her 50's . <snip> To be honest, I didn't reply earlier because I was mildly offended that anyone would even consider 50 to be old ..

View attachment 784876
Maybe we need a new thread for those that are still diving at the sprite age of 60+?
(and I no longer consider 60 as old!!!)

Was diving in Scotland last week on 60m/200ft wrecks, all divers on rebreathers and circa 2h+ dive times in cold water 7C/45F.

One chap is 75 years old and still diving. I look up to him as it's proof that serious diving doesn't need to stop in our mid 60's.

66 and diving since 55. Warm water recreational open water only. Traveling is more tiresome as my age increases, but hasn't stopped me yet.

65 years old. Got certified in January of this year (OW). 30 dives. SW Florida. So mostly warm water Gulf of Mexico, but a couple of springs.

65 years old. Got certified in January of this year (OW). 30 dives. SW Florida. So mostly warm water Gulf of Mexico, but a couple of springs.
Do you do it for fun or for diving with public safety team?

60 and diving since 1977. Currently DM for LDS in my spare time. In my youth did some commercial work as a harbor diver in Honduras, Guatemala and Panama. Reformed Spearo [but prone to relapses]. Prefer diving vintage equipment over modern gear. Always looking for an excuse to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom