Active Divers over the age of 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This statement has a special resonance for me. My Dad passed away last week, he was 86. Never got certified, but tried it twice, while on holidays, both times with me. I was sooo happy. Last time was around 20 years ago, in Crete.

It was around Easter, always a complicated time to dive the Med : high wind, cold water, and a shy sun. He wouldn't hear of diving with me, his answer was something like : I'm too old for this sh.. Until, I told him : I'm diving from a place called Mononaftis, there's an old minoan jetty underwater, and broken antique pottery everywhere. As a retired teacher who taught some Latin for years and was deeply interested in Latin and Greek history, he changed his mind quickly. We had excellent condition and hugely enjoyed the dive, more than 40 minutes underwater. A very dear memory to me.

Here's a picture, my Dad's on the right.
….B T W…Great Picture…wish I got some of my dad diving w/me…

My nephew in Jacksonville, FL is a certified diver and really intrigued with my ‘Vintage’ hobby and would be the one to be interested in taking my ‘collection’ when I pass on. However he is a single dad with a municipal career which is O K but he has no time for what he enjoys. He and I have tried to connect for a dive but he is pulled in too many directions.

It’s not age per se that is the issue, its health, fitness and having or making time to dive. My usual group of 4 are all retired, but active in one way or another. Two of us have Assistant Instructor ratings, and the two women have roughly twice as many dives as we do. The guys often help carry equipment for the women when shore diving and occasionally we will need to throw inflated BCs in the water first, then get in and don them. For some boat dive exits, the women will often remove their BCs and pass them up to the crew. Other than those instances we make few concessions.
….what I am looking at now that ‘Age’ ( …not necessarily in ‘Years’ but supressed abilities) as I now seek ‘benign‘ conditions in warm, clear, minimal current/calm waters and controlled environment. No more flopping around in 10 ft seas w/5 other hard-core divers to dive a U-Boat wreck in 105’ of somewhat murky water that is 55 deg.F. ( EGADS, I used to DO that kinda stuff 😧. I still want to dive while I am able. My old dive buddies, gone, medical issues or moved away.

Another way to think about it is: what do we want out of diving? At a younger (more fit) age, we might be testing ourselves. There's no dive too cold, too dark, too deep that I can't handle. Having survived that, I'm now at the stage of "no drama". I want to see the reef, take some photos, enjoy the scenery. Rinse and repeat.

Another way to think about it is: what do we want out of diving? At a younger (more fit) age, we might be testing ourselves. There's no dive too cold, too dark, too deep that I can't handle. Having survived that, I'm now at the stage of "no drama". I want to see the reef, take some photos, enjoy the scenery. Rinse and repeat.
AMEN Brother

I died at 49.

Almost made it.
Oh No not another one. When I had an ‘Overactive Career’ I never had time to call in sick or anything. I asked my wife if she would record me ‘ Calling in ‘Dead’ …not coming in today, tomorrow not looking good either or from here on out. I am officially Deceased and will not be at work…’ funny, ….but ‘NOT’. Yes I hang out with some off-the-wall folks with plenty of ‘deadpan’ to go around. Life, as it is is way too short to get hung up on anything. Humor makes the sun shine in most people’s lives. 🌞

Dive on my friend, and don’t get seasick in the bathtub…

We are a couple in our late 60s, diving around 50 times a year in warm water. We have been diving since the early 2000s and have two liveaboard trips and several resort dives planned for next year. Our doctor supports us and provides fit to dive letters when needed. We have no plans to stop diving as long as we are healthy and feel okay.

Back
Top Bottom