Active Divers over the age of 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love seeing all the folks in their 70’s who are still going at it - that’s the dream.
Ain’t it the truth! I hope I can keep it going another 20 years.
I’m 53, OW certified just last June. Diving with my 14 year old son since then has been a blast. Writing this from North Florida, where we are currently on a spring diving trip.

68 yrs young a few weeks ago.
Primarily warm water (in & out of the wetsuit).
Certified in 1972, then very few dives for years. Another fresh OW cert in 1990, then a few dives and a long absence. Now a refresher in in 2021 and then a week on a live aboard plus a few other trips for a total of about 50 dives. Cozumel, Bahamas, Sea of Cortez and Oahu.
Planning a trip to Belize & Roatan.

I am curious as to how many SB members, who are still active divers, are over the age of 50? Also, how long they have been diving, how often they dive, and what types of diving they do?
69 here
PADI certified in 1991 with 2,123 logged dives all on paper.
Mainly warmish water (it's all relevant) but do the occasional cold dips and technical dives as well as trips to warmer water with pretty slugs to look at :D
Diving on a weekly basis and sometimes more, did 180 dives in 2022.
Retired in 2021.

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. I am curious as to how many SB members, who are still active divers, are over the age of 50? Also, how long they have been diving, how often they dive, and what types of diving they do?
Lots of "Baby Boomers" here from the "Mike Nelson" era. My first certification was at the YMCA in 1966 at the age of 15. I still dive around the world on live-aboards with my wife and weekly at a local aquarium.

I'm currently 58 and I've been diving regularly since being certified over 17 years ago. I dive one weekend a month on average, logging 50-60 dives a year. I'm trained up through Trimix but my drive for technical diving has waned. Thankfully my love for diving has not. I still occasionally do very light technical dives but the vast majority of my dives are recreational. I hope to be diving well into my 70s and beyond if I'm lucky.

soon to be 65. my first scuba class was in 1976-1977 (it was a whole college semester!).
Today i'm an active SDI-TDI Course Director, an active instructor and tech instructor with Stuart Scuba, and a rebreather tech diver. It's never too late to learn. I recently certified as an SDI Scubility instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom