Ack! New Stuff on the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coach_izzy

Contributor
Reaction score
It so happens that I scouted Rockaway Beach in Bainbridge Island two weekends ago. The water was PRISTINE and you could easily see the bottom from the top of the park.

I returned yesterday with a divemaster to show me around. We were there at high tide. The wind was kicking and the water choppy, wasn't an easy entry, but we managed.

What a difference 2 weeks make...

Visibility was at best 5 feet. I knew the viz would be bad when we arrived, but I thought it would open up. Same deal at 60 feet. Viz did not improve. The stuff in the water WAS NOT the same stuff that was in the water when I met Bob Bailey on Cove 2 about 3 weekends ago.

Now my hands ITCH like crazy (wet gloves)

Are we getting a red tide? Or is this the time for sea lice around here? Or is it just the water at Bainbridge Island?

I'm still new to these waters so I'm looking to learn more. Thanks!

Gues your not ITCHIN to go diven now are ya, what i seen yesterday was a white film and dead crabs, and a few other things, So Im thinkin your not all that crazy, course are ya sure no jelly,s around, or stuck to outside of glove or suit that ya touched.

Bet pissen is a straegy, or is it not a spreading itch.

Happy Diving

I don't know why you would be itching, but visibility definitely goes in cycles this time of year. The warmer water and increased sunlight cause algae to multiply, making the water very turbid. Eventually, the algae begin to die, and you'll see the particulates in the water begin to clump up, like heavy snowflakes in a wet snowstorm. This stuff eventually settles, and we'll have a few days of superb viz, and then the cycle begins again.

I have never had any reaction to the stuff in the water, either on my skin or in my eyes, but I suppose it's conceivable that you have an allergy to something.

Want to come down and join us at Edmonds tomorrow afternoon/evening?

Want to come down and join us at Edmonds tomorrow afternoon/evening?

I would love to, but my schedule won't allow it. Thanks for the invite. Looking forward to joining you guys eventually.

Back
Top Bottom