Accommodations, Dive Resorts for a first-timer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floridasungirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got my tickets to go to Roatan in February and now need to work on the sleeping part.

I'd prefer a higher end resort (read: safe) that includes diving and possibly meals, although I've read that eating is pretty cheap everywhere.

Also, would anyone recommend renting a car or are cheap taxis just as good?
Is West End the place to go?
Anyone do a day trip to Belize?

Thanks for all your help!

Try a "search" here on SCUBABoard for answers to a lot of your questions.

Usualy, if you want to stay at an AI on Roatan, you would arrange the air through them or with their stateside booking agents. You're going to need a ride from the airport. No big deal, but an AI would make that an inclusive done deal.

"Major" AI resorts? Look at AKR (Anthony's Key), IoLR (Inn of the Last resort), BIBR (Bay Islands Beach Resort) along the NorthWest side. On the Southern shore, look at FIBR (Fantasy Island) and CCV (CoCoView). These are the major players, others will chime in and tell you about how their experience at this or that or yet another resort was just the best ever. Everyone has an opinion, some are more broad based in terms of experience than others.

You have to know what you want out of a vacation and state it as such.

You want a high end resort, but then you talk about getting meals off the homestead. It's entirely possible and can be fun for some, but you kind of have to decide what you want: A dive vactaion... or a vacation with diving. If you want a dive vacation, this to me means 3 to 4 each day plus a night dive. If you don't mind missing 2 out of that daily schedule, eating out for dinner is an option.

All of the AI's are safe, as a matter of fact, the island is safe. If a tourist gets into puppy-poop on Roatan, they had to have been looking for it. Universal truth: The farther you distance yourself from locals who are out drinking, the better. I have still had nary a problem at any local joint... never! But then again, I do not drink, I smile a lot, and I don't flirt with their sisters or girlfriends. The same rule would apply in Peoria.

If you are talking about "safe" in terms of isolation, CCV would be the one as it is on its own private ten acre island. No one there but staff and guests- all other resorts have frequent traffic from locals. At CCV, you may be able to leave cameras lying about and your rooms unlocked... downside? Your'e not within walking distance of several fun and happy West End bars. But at CCV, you are there for the diving.

For your possible wide ranging desires- don't forget to look at the non-AI options. There are numerous cottages for rent in the West Bay area, great day-dive ops, as well as tiny AI's located in Oak Ridge. Again- use that "search" capability on SCUBABoard !

Never, ever rent a car. The liability issues are extreme, the roads suck- and you won't know where to go or park. There is simply no medical assistance above band aids. Hire and English speaking cab driver for the day. Select from a run-of-the-mill island tour to a real east end adventure.

A day trip to Belize? B.Y.O.H. (Bring your own helicopter) It aint happenin'. You are going to see the same reefs, structure and critters in the Bay Islands that you'll see in Belize... a mere 90 miles away. There are flights during the weekdays, but it is not a real option for divers. You could hire a boat if you have the $$$. Better to take two weeks and do both, 1 week in each.

Roatan can be enjoyable for diving vacationers of many sorts, it is not yet Cozumel (thank the heavens), It's a long way away from it's Cayman cousins, and for many- the diving is disappointing. Many divers arrive only understanding how to see lobsters, crabs or fish that are bigger than a college textbook.

Roatan is for the diver with good to perfect buoyancy skills, someone who doesn't view a dive as a race, someone who brings a flashlight on each and every dive... and someone who is interested in what you're looking at with that magnifying glass. Looking beyond the hype promulgated by some resorts, interest groups and salesman- finding the kind of experience you want- that's the key. There is precious little to do (yet) on Roatan other than dive- don't really think otherwise... yet.

Something for everyone- but nothing for the diver who comes looking for what they have already seen in the rest of the Caribbean. Find a good DM and stick your faceplate on his flippers. People post all the time asking if the DM's hover over you. No- they are the least invasive in the Bay Islands than any Caribbean destination, but as they see more dunderheads (now that the island is being "dicovered"), that will likely change. If you toddle off on your own, you are likely to see nothing. It took me 100 plus dives in the Bay Islands before I knew where and how to look.

Rely on a good DM.

Doc has given you very good info....you state you would like a possible "high end" hotel....here are a few listed.....I prefer diving to where I stay and always stay at CoCoView and have never ever felt unsafe there

http://www.hondurasroatantravel.com/?src=overture

Floridasungirl,
I feel that I'm still fairly new to diving, but I think that most high-end resorts in Central American locations are not going to be "diver centered." My husband and I have stayed at CocoView once and Anthony's Key twice. We felt very safe at both places. The only time we left either resort was on our most recent trip to AKR (explained below).

If I was comparing these two resorts, which are both AI, I would say that AKR is higher-end. I think it has more of a "resort" feel, but you still get great diving. With AKR, the dining is restaurant style (you get a couple of choices for each course), where at CCV it's buffet style. It had been two years between our AKR stays. This September when we sat down for our first night's dinner, one of the wait staff said, "Welcome back man!" to my husband...he actually remembered him...that was IMPRESSIVE!! (He is 6'4" so maybe that helped.)

I will say that shore diving at CCV is going to be much easier. We still haven't done any shore diving at AKR because we didn't want to lug our gear out to the key. So, if you are looking at really logging some dives, CCV is probably the way to go.

As RoatanMan stated, DMs can make all the difference. Staying at AKR, you ultimately have a DM with you at all times (other than shore dives). This can be helpful as a new diver. The two times we’ve been there, we have LOVED our DM!! I think AKR runs an awesome dive op! At CCV, you get a little of both...your DM on 1/2 of the dives and you are the DM for the others. This gives you a chance to practice your own "critter finding." If there's something great to see, like the resident sea horse on the wall, the DMs will give you the general location.

No matter where you stay, one thing I recommend is to take some school supplies with you...if your luggage will allow. On our last trip there we took about 50 pounds of supplies, games and candy. Some went to an orphanage and some went to a school. Everyone was so appreciative and the kiddos at the orphanage loved their games. (When we were at CCV, students from a local school came to the resort to perform and that's when we presented our supplies.)

It worked out great...the cousin of our AKR boat captain was our taxi driver. He took us to both locations and then on the way back drove us through "The Swamp." This is a very poor region of the island. He was great about sharing history and information with us...it really made you appreciate what we have in the states.

Jennifer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom