Accident In Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read this thread with interest, having been to Oz last year and partaken in various above and below water activities.
I opted not to do a 'normal' dive on my Whitsunday charter, largely 'cos the viz was poor... and I think I talked a few potential newbie divers out of DSD's for the same reason. We all spent a happy few hours snorkelling instead.
Our boat also picked up another snorkeller, from another boat, who'd been left behind.
This was some months after 'Open Water' the movie had been released (loosely based on an Oz 'divers left in the water' situation). go figure.
We all had a good laugh... and I gave the boat ops a hard time about it back in port.

As it relates to this thread: there is a _very_ cursory approach to safety and diving 'due process' in general in the Whitsunday charters, as it is a very high volume operation. As a newbie diver/DSD customer, it would be difficult to make a reasonable assessment of 'safety' - even now, it's hard to get a good 'feel' of a dive-ops approach, whether it's Oz, Egypt, Africa, until you're in the water and the chips are down.

To Jack: commiserations, but at least you walked away, and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I have details of some reputable dive shops in London, if you're interested in getting wet again.... at the very least, check out the galleries here and see what you've been missing. Oh, and leave the lawyers alone, life's too short to get involved with them.
pax,
h.

Dude, I'm sorry you had a rough experience and all that, but damn...?!

I'm with these guys...
Or you can be glad that you survived with the slightest of ill-effects and get on with your life. Whatever the dive leader may have done wrong, he ultimately saved your life when things got dicey. I take it you didn't thank him for this.
mjh:
I am sorry but I can't support your lawsuit and feel this is one more example of the abdication of self-responsibility. YOU knew you were entering a life-threating situation. Even at the tender age of 20 YOU should have demanded to know how things work or not gone down. NO MATTER what anyone told you. If anything take it as an important lesson in not succumbing to peer/group pressure.
If you'd been taken on a land tour, and the leader said it'd be okay to walk into a forest fire, that they'd take care of everything - would you sue them when you got burned...??

Yeah, you got a back introduction to the sport, but only after signing a waiver that you accept the dangers. Live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom