Accident In Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
In order to empty an 80cf tank in 20 minutes in 8 metres of water you need a SAC of 61 litres per min or something like 2cf per min.

Assuming that the tank was full to begin with, that none of the equipment was leaking, and that he was using an 80cf tank... There are simply too many unknowns for anything more than speculation.

Seuss:
Assuming that the tank was full to begin with, that none of the equipment was leaking, and that he was using an 80cf tank...

Yes, assuming these things. Have you *ever* seen an intro dive done any other way? They didn't throw him in the water with a pony bottle..... I'll bet my balls on that.

R..

Actually, my first thought was that the valve on the cylinder wasn't fully open. Seems to fit with the running "out of air" and with the crew thinking he was just hyperventillating. It's surely not the student's responsibility to set up the equipment.

Another glaring potential Standards violation.. the poster states that he has no idea how to determine how much air remains. Air gauge use is a required skill. Failure to teach it would, IMHO, be incredibly negligent.

It's just speculation and there's no way to prove it at this point.

Diver0001:
Have you *ever* seen an intro dive done any other way?

Unfortunately, yes. For DSDs, I have seen operators use half-full 80s rather than topping them off for the second trip/group out. I have seen operators use 63's rather than 80's (to speed up the dives, I assume). I have seen dives done with tanks that had bad or missing o-rings, leaking air faster than than the diver was breathing it. I have even seen an instructor take his open water class on a NIGHT DIVE for their final checkout dive. When it comes to making a quick buck from somebody on a cruise ship that wont be back to complain, I have seen a lot of very unethical behavior.

Just a question about why you are considering a suit now, two years after the event in which you suffered no lasting injury.

Yes, the fright of your life and yes a fouled up vacation. Was there more?

Clearly in your DSD things did not go well. There is a very high duty of care in taking a person on a DSD, which on the basis of your description appears not to have been met, but a lawsuit will end up eating you alive and for what gain?

Diver0001:
Yes, assuming these things. Have you *ever* seen an intro dive done any other way? They didn't throw him in the water with a pony bottle..... I'll bet my balls on that.

R..

I've often seen "Intro" dives done using the same tank for 2 or even 3 customers.
Total cycle less than 20mins from leaving the boat to back on board.

I once had a very minor sky diving accident. I was on a tandem jump (analagous to your dive-I did not know what squat about sky diving) and we came in hard and I bruised the heck out of my bum and legs.

My advice to you is to be glad that you did not get permenantly injured and move forward with your life. I spent 3 or 4 days (how long the injury hurt) worrying about it, asked a forum about the mechanics of what happened, learned why I bruised my rear, and then got on with my life. You should do the same.

I am sorry but I can't support your lawsuit and feel this is one more example of the abdication of self-responsibility. YOU knew you were entering a life-threating situation. Even at the tender age of 20 YOU should have demanded to know how things work or not gone down. NO MATTER what anyone told you. If anything take it as an important lesson in not succumbing to peer/group pressure.

I'm sorry to hear that your first experience was a bad one because Scuba Diving is actually a really enjoyable and addictive sport. It would be a shame that you have been discouraged all because of this one experience wich was mainly because of REALLY POOR instruction, not anything you did.

I would recomend taking a proper full course from a reputable Instructor which would actually allow you to experience the excitment and passion for the sport that everyone else hear on Scubaboard experiences.

Good luck :)

JASON ~~

I think 2 years after the event you only have if chance if you can prove damage, material or psychological, linked to the event but which only materialized later.
Did you have any trauma which required a shrink, and do you have the receipts to prove it?
Any permanent lung (or other) damage?
From what you have described so far I wouldn't waste my time.
S**t happens.
Put it behind you and move on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom