Accident at Cave Excursions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLL Diver:
Was this the same shop that had a compressor explosion a couple of weeks ago?

Marc

It was not a compressor, it was a haskel pump and all that was, was a pressure fitting.

Seadeuce:
Condolences to her family, and wishes for a full recovery to the injured.

One question, in the Gainesville.com link news it begins "An O'Brien woman was killed ..." Then it states her name as Mrs. Slaughter.
Is there something I'm missing here?

Seadeuce

O'Brien, I believe, is the name of the small town she was from.

Stopped by Bill's to pay my condolences today. Bill said he is doing ok. His shop is open for gas fills. The explosion blew the roof of the gas filling area and blew the glass out of the glass doors to his shop. All of the merchandise is lost mainly due to insurence regs, I guess because there is glass all over the place and wouldn't be able to to be safely cleaned from off all the items.
I saw a picture of the tank and it looked like two holes were blown from right beneath the valve which, if I remember correctly is still on the tank. Bill said that Fran had just hooked up the whip to the tank but had not opened the valves.
So we will have to wait for the report as to the condition of the tank before the whip hook up.

Strange indeed...seems to me that it couldnt be pressure related. I'm not even close to an expert, but shouldnt the burst disk go before the whole tank?

My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.

diverbob:
Strange indeed...seems to me that it couldnt be pressure related. I'm not even close to an expert, but shouldnt the burst disk go before the whole tank?

My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.
I think the discs go when there is too much pressure, 5000psi I believe. Since the tank was there to be filled there wouldn't be enough pressure to burst the disc. And if the tank did have a crack, even a hairline fracture, that would go at a lower pressure before the disc.

SmokeAire:
I think the discs go when there is too much pressure, 5000psi I believe. Since the tank was there to be filled there wouldn't be enough pressure to burst the disc. And if the tank did have a crack, even a hairline fracture, that would go at a lower pressure before the disc.

The burst disk in a 3000 psi cylinder are designed to burst at around 4000 psi. The hydro on a 3000 PSI cylinder is 5000 psi or 3/5 of its working pressure.

Thanks Curt. Glad to know the burst pressure is lower the 5Mpsi.

newtodive:
Why would the tanks exploded?

Because there was fuel and a heat source.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom