Acapulco - good sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaucho

Reaction score

So... my plans now changed, we are going to go to Acapulco instead of Veracruz. Ive heard that the Rio de la Plata wreck is a good place to dive, where else should I go.

Im still only Open Water certified, my 130ft clearance will have to wait another 3 weeks, so please bear that in mind when making recommendations. Thanks !!

Hmmm..... Nobody goes diving in Acapulco? I will take notes from my next trip and post a trip report. :D

Hi Gaucho,

I have been there and, while enjoying the topside, found the diving to be very poor, e.g., low viz, poor condition of marine life, high bacterial counts. Be sure to practice proper ear hygiene in the nasty dive environment.

BTW, word I get is the Rio de la Plata can be a dicey dive for the inexperienced.

Have fun & I look forward to your trip report.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks Doc. Yes, the diving is not great, there is quite a bit of trash and the marine life is nothing special. The thing for me is that its a 3.5 hour drive from my current temporary base in DF Mexico and I want to log as much dives as possible before Xmas.

When you say high bacteria count, apart from ear hygene, what special cleaning procedures would you recommend for the equipment? I rinse all my gear with clean (fresh) water after every dive, but I dont use soap or any sort of detergent. What additional cleaning fluid should I look for?

As to the Rio de la Plata, yes, it was very choppy and I had my first high tension :eek: experience as a diver. I will write up a trip report during the week and post it once I have it ready. Cheers!!

Hi Gaucho,

Just look after your ears & endeavor to orally take in as little contaminated water as is possible.

After the Acapulco trip is over, to rid your gear of microbes soak it in a diluted household bleach solution. The CDC recommends one-quarter cup of bleach to one gallon of water and a soaking time of up to 10 minutes, followed by thorough rinsing. Other disinfectants safe if used as directed include Wescodyne, Santimine & Timsen.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Grazie Doc... Im off to my local chemist :eek: this afternoon... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom