"Academic smarts are not the same as peace smarts"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am at a loss as to the reason for this thread.. The preface was not really well stated, but more given as an introduction to a term paper thus leaving little to discuss. I also get the feeling that atheist is referred to in the following definition:

atheist

adj : related to or characterized by or given to atheism; "atheist leanings" [syn: atheistic, atheistical] n : someone who denies the existence of god

Which is fine, however it doesn't seem very inviting for anyone but those who share similar religious views to even want to discuss the topic.

catherine96821:
You should read the Dali Lama on war. You might be surprised.

Do you have a link? PM me if posting here would be "rude".

dpbishop:
Dedicated Atheist is an oxymoron; if you are an atheist there is nothing to be dedicated to. Inner peace comes from accepting the world as it is, which is not that difficult when you realize that's the only way it comes, everything else is wishful thinking or paranoia.

I fail to see the logic here? Are you suggesting that an atheist cannot develop an inner sense of values that include dedication to certain precepts like good will to others? If so, I think you are absolutely wrong on that. Atheists are quite capable of commitment to higher purposes... they just do so out of an inner conviction unaffected by their belief (or rather lack of it) in a higher power.

Inner peace is quite achievable by those without religious beliefs if they follow your guideline of accepting the world as it is.

catherine96821:
You should read the Dali Lama on war. You might be surprised.

"Dali Lama" - is that some kind of Tibetan surrealist? :D

CBulla:
I am at a loss as to the reason for this thread.. The preface was not really well stated, but more given as an introduction to a term paper thus leaving little to discuss.
Colin,

Fookisan sort of meanders down the path dropping spiritual road-apples for the rest of us to contemplate. He does it on a scuba board because everyone knows that scuba divers are a scurrilous bunch of knaves who, far more than the rest of the population, badly need to get their zen on from time to time. :D

That, or else maybe he got a really bad fill last year and he's been sorta random ever since....it's tough to know because after dropping them he never checks back into his own threads. We're left to wonder. It's part of the zen thing.

There really is no other reason.

Like "Waiting for Godot", it's an existentialist sort of gig...

hmmm.... well, i'm not so much an atheist (there is no God) as i am
an agnostic (there's no way to know whether there's a God)

basically, it's pretty easy to figure out whats good: be good to yourself,
be good to others, be honest with yourself, be honest with others...

i guess my motto comes down to three things:

be true to yourself
don't hurt others
try not to lie

why? because i made it up... you just got to take the initiative in these things

and in case you are wondering "what keeps you from being mean and
killing people and all that jazz?"

1. fear of jail time
2. fear of hating myself every day
3. fear of driving away those who love me
4. that which you sow, that also you shall reap =)

Why do I read these posts????????????

Joe

Doc Intrepid:
Colin,

Fookisan sort of meanders down the path dropping spiritual road-apples for the rest of us to contemplate. He does it on a scuba board because everyone knows that scuba divers are a scurrilous bunch of knaves who, far more than the rest of the population, badly need to get their zen on from time to time. :D

That, or else maybe he got a really bad fill last year and he's been sorta random ever since....it's tough to know because after dropping them he never checks back into his own threads. We're left to wonder. It's part of the zen thing.

There really is no other reason.

Like "Waiting for Godot", it's an existentialist sort of gig...
When all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.

scubajoe:
Why do I read these posts????????????

Joe
You did...?! :11:

Back
Top Bottom