Absurd Request for Shearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Changing the name isn't going to help, they should be doing regular scans and would eventually pick up the cloud connection threat. If you're already using a network based logging system, I'd assume that software has been approved for use on the network. Getting ATOs (Authority to Operate) on government networks is a non-trivial exercise.

Changing the name isn't going to help, they should be doing regular scans and would eventually pick up the cloud connection threat. If you're already using a network based logging system, I'd assume that software has been approved for use on the network. Getting ATOs (Authority to Operate) on government networks is a non-trivial exercise.
Our IT said it wasn't an issue of the software, it was flagged because of the name. Non divers run the software approval stuff and could care less what it does.

I have the most off the wall and honestly stupid request for the Shearwater Team....... get ready for this......... Can you please rename the software "Shearwater Cloud" make a release of the software that has a different name. I absolutely love my Shearwater products and I also dive for a living as a scientific diver. I work for the Federal Government, and federal IT is not going to allow us to use the software any more because of the "cloud" aspect of the name. They are stating that it poses a network vulnerability. I have fought this tooth and nail, but yet I am losing the battle. I am in love with shearwater and love the dive log that the software generates. Speaking to other divers in the community that work for academia, they are also facing the same battle and losing. There are a bunch of us facing the same issue. None of us want to stop using shearwater, can you make "shearwater log", or "shearwater professional" or something on that line... Please don't laugh, I know its beyond stupid.
If you are working at WHOI (which your profile says) why does WHOI care? They are private, not government....
Are you working for WHOI or at WHOI?
Maybe you are a USGS employee?
I guess I don't quite understand. Whose IT department is shutting you down?

I saw recently on Scubaboard that Shearwater is looking for BETA testers for a product, worth a try touching base via that forum?!

I saw recently on Scubaboard that Shearwater is looking for BETA testers for a product, worth a try touching base via that forum?!
That BETA test has nothing to do with the Cloud; it is about the BT connection to Android.

Our IT said it wasn't an issue of the software, it was flagged because of the name. Non divers run the software approval stuff and could care less what it does.

Sounds like it is in fact a lack of common sense and not an issue of the government's dive logs being a matter of grave national security...

I'll have Kelly add this to the request list.

Regarding the original request. I have come across this issue for users before and have discussed this internally. For now there isn't much going on regarding a rebrand in the short term. In the mean time please start a support ticket and get your organizations IT involved.

I have the most off the wall and honestly stupid request for the Shearwater Team....... get ready for this......... Can you please rename the software "Shearwater Cloud" make a release of the software that has a different name. I absolutely love my Shearwater products and I also dive for a living as a scientific diver. I work for the Federal Government, and federal IT is not going to allow us to use the software any more because of the "cloud" aspect of the name. They are stating that it poses a network vulnerability. I have fought this tooth and nail, but yet I am losing the battle. I am in love with shearwater and love the dive log that the software generates. Speaking to other divers in the community that work for academia, they are also facing the same battle and losing. There are a bunch of us facing the same issue. None of us want to stop using shearwater, can you make "shearwater log", or "shearwater professional" or something on that line... Please don't laugh, I know its beyond stupid.
View attachment 843784
Hello, I am the current Shearwater Software Support contact. its great to hear this suggestion. For further feature requests like this, the best way to reach us is emailing @info@shearwater.com.

For now I will add your suggestions to our feature request section and make this known to my team. Thank you again for your suggestion we really appreciate Customer feedback like this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom