About to start PADI Open Water - how much prep time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lozadora

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am still waiting for my diving school to send me my PADI materials. I am doing a two day course next weekend with the aim to complete the Open Water Referral at the end of it to then complete my PADI Open Water Diver in Greece.

How much prep time do you think I need before the class? Does anyone have experience of this, I was hoping it would arrive today so that I have this weekend to go through the manual. Would a few evenings a week be enough if it doesn't arrive until Monday?

Yes, a few evenings will be fine. There are five chapters to read and a short-answer "knowledge review" to complete after each chapter. It is not heavy material.

Bill

I think I spent a little over an hour on each section, for reading, answering the quick self tests, and knowledge reviews, and I am not a fast reader. So, I spent about 6-7 hours of prep before my class.

Yes, a few evenings will be fine. There are five chapters to read and a short-answer "knowledge review" to complete after each chapter. It is not heavy material.

Bill

I agree. But you have to know what kind of a "studier" you are. I like to study stuff to death to make sure it all sticks.

TMHeimer,

Agreed. We expect students to come to the classes prepared and have the work completed, so the more time the better. I really like it when they come prepared with questions!

I am still waiting for my diving school to send me my PADI materials. I am doing a two day course next weekend with the aim to complete the Open Water Referral at the end of it to then complete my PADI Open Water Diver in Greece.

How much prep time do you think I need before the class? Does anyone have experience of this, I was hoping it would arrive today so that I have this weekend to go through the manual. Would a few evenings a week be enough if it doesn't arrive until Monday?

All good answers here, so I'm not going to add to it very much. Not an instructor, but when I got my course materials, they mentioned about 8 hours total. My stuff came with the books and a DVD as well. From what I understand, both go together.

Not that I disagree with comments here thus far. The academics are fairly straightfoward. However, taking time to prep your gear (cleaning your mask, adjusting your boot starps to fit your fins, maybe a bit of time in the pool (or even tub) with your mask and snorkle doesn't hurt. The more comfortable you are, the more you will learn and enjoy your class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom