About to buy my first set of Scuba Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howie411

Contributor
Reaction score
What do you all think of this layout, I didn't want to spent more then $1500 but it looks like I can get all this at the local shop for about 1850 after taxes.

Aeris Atmos LX BCD
Suunto Cobra (Air Int, Computer w/compass and quick disconnect.
Aqualung Lengend ACD Reg.
Apex Egress Octo

See if they'll knock a few % off for paying in cash (vs credit).

I always ask on big purchases now adays. Many are willing to close the deal and it is money they'll save. Worst case, I get the cash rewards on my card -- but the discount is better.

It's a win-win.

~Jeff

Well I was hoping to pay with my Amex and get cash back but they don't take Amex. :(

Ask if they'll do for $1500 since that was what you are hoping to pay.

That computer seems to be well liked and from what I hear that's a solid reg.

What do you all think of this layout, I didn't want to spent more then $1500 but it looks like I can get all this at the local shop for about 1850 after taxes. Aeris Atmos LX BCD; Suunto Cobra (Air Int, Computer w/compass and quick disconnect.; Aqualung Lengend ACD Reg.; Apex Egress Octo
Reasonable, solid equipment. At $1850, it is not particularly a 'deal'. At $1600 I would consider it more of a value, and at $1500 I would probably consider it a good deal. One thought - do you really want a console mounted, as opposed to a wrist mounted, computer? Think about that before making the purchase.

Reasonable, solid equipment. At $1850, it is not particularly a 'deal'. At $1600 I would consider it more of a value, and at $1500 I would probably consider it a good deal. One thought - do you really want a console mounted, as opposed to a wrist mounted, computer? Think about that before making the purchase.

Whats wrong with the air-integrated one? I've heard good things about the Cobra. and with the quick disconnect I can get it off easily.

Whats wrong with the air-integrated one? I've heard good things about the Cobra. and with the quick disconnect I can get it off easily.
I suspect the point was the choice of a console-mounted vs wrist-mounted computer, and a suggestion you think through that particular issue before buying. There is nothing wrong with air integrated, nothing wrong with the Cobra, etc. The Cobra is nitrox-capable, has a readable screen, and Suunto is considered a quality product, nothwithstanding some of the depth sensor issues that have been described recently. But, there have been a number of threads that address the choice of console vs wrist mount, included a VERY long running thread on 'most regretted' gear purchases, that might offer additional insight on the issue.

Its cheaper than what I paid for my set-up which is almost identical. Stupid Australian higher prices... :(

Howie411, one option is if you're planning to take any specialty courses through the LDS is Suunto's $200 IR on the computer:

$200 Instant Rebate on Suunto Computers

What do you all think of this layout, I didn't want to spent more then $1500 but it looks like I can get all this at the local shop for about 1850 after taxes.

Aeris Atmos LX BCD
Apex Egress Octo

Aeris Atmos LX BCD
Apex Egress Octo
That's almost $1,600 even at LP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom