About the Genesis 2000..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buccaneer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
About the Genesis 2000.. I am new to diving and recently bought this reg. one of the reasons I bought it was because I saw it advertised as "Nitrox ready" on several web sites. (leisurepro.com for instance) I searched the forums for info about the reg, and saw several posts by shrwdtech (if u are reading this I PM'd u) where he mentions it needs to be rebuilt w/other components first.
My ?? is: Is this still the case- are these ads somewhat dishonest in thier description of "nitrox ready" OR has genesis started making new models Nitrox ready now w/ out any mods needed?

Thanks!

The answer to your question should be in the owners manual.

According the the manufacturer, the sherwoods require the installation of a nitrox kit but I don't remember about the gs2000 since we only sold like 1.

The reason I lumped them all together is because they are all distributed by kramer & decker

Buccaneer,

If I didn't respond to your PM, I'm sorry. I don't have any PM's in my box atm.

On page 4 of the Genesis Regulator Owner's Manual is states on the 4th paragraph down to not use the reg with anything BUT "clean compressed atmospheric air (21% oxygen, 79% nitrogen by volume).

It states to not use it, for various dangers, with any other breathing gas.

That part is rather a stretch, as we DO offer an enriched air service kit.

The web sites stating otherwise are incorrect. Leisure Pro is not an authorized dealer of our equipment, and can state anything they like be it correct or incorrect. They carry and enforce their own warranty and for the most part you are in the realm of "let the buyer beware" when you deal with them. I've heard comments both directions about them and don't need to open that can of worms here. :) And contrary to general belief, we don't sell to them, and I just this past week rejected an entire box of items they tried to slide by me as 'Warranty Claims'.

But, at any rate, our policy is that in terms of the Enriched Air usage. You won't void your warranty, but certain parts need to be changed out with Enriched Air compatable componants.

Despite shrwdtech's warnings, my GS2K hasn't blown up yet :wink:.

Seriously this has been argued many times. Do some searches. One of my favoite articles on the subject can be found at:

http://www.dive-rite.com/resource/o2_clean/index.htm

Of importance is:

But wait -- aren't all regulators suitable for Nitrox use when filled from a premixed source? If the premixed source is no richer than EAN40 (40 percent oxygen), most people feel the answer is "yes."

That pretty much sums it up. 90% of the people who know anything about it and are not just spouting manufactures legal protection (see the last paragrap in the article) belive you can pretty much use any regulator for up to 40% O2.

Shrwdtech happens to be one who falls into that other category. All evidence points to the fact that he really belives that the regulators are not safe for up to 40% without an O2 "kit" and is not simply following the company line.

It's basicly up to you, but some manufactures do actually advertise their regs a "Nitrox Ready" and there is no difference (at least from an O2 standpoint) between them and your GS2K.

James

Everyone was new at some point, but it's obvious, with due respect, that you have a lot to learn. Which is more than fair - like I said, we've all been there.

But don't buy anything - regulators or otherwise - until you've been certified and have a few dives under your belt. You'll discover that Nitrox does indeed come in a single tank (referring to an earlier thread), that some regulators are better than others, that some manufacturers are full of BS, etc. etc. etc.

Read a lot on here, but more importantly, get some dives. Use the "Search" function - it's your friend. But save your money - you won't regret it.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
Everyone was new at some point, but it's obvious, with due respect, that you have a lot to learn. Which is more than fair - like I said, we've all been there.

But don't buy anything - regulators or otherwise - until you've been certified and have a few dives under your belt. You'll discover that Nitrox does indeed come in a single tank (referring to an earlier thread), that some regulators are better than others....<snip>

You can't blame everything on the moderators!

Any reg can be used with Nitrox up to 40%. "Nitrox Ready" is just a marketing ploy.

You can't blame everything on the moderators!

You're right Mike, Sorry.

Let me rephrase:

Most regulators are really good. Some, like this Mike Ferrara guy, are real morons. Avoid him at all costs. He might try to send you some split fins or something.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
Any reg can be used with Nitrox up to 40%. "Nitrox Ready" is just a marketing ploy.

I don't think so. It upsets people and they know it and upseting people on purpose makes for a rather strange marketing strategy. It's a liability thing.

Who is it? Navy?, NOAA? ANDI? Anyway, one or more insist that anything with elevated FO2 be treated as pure O2. That's the most conservative stance on the issue and some manufacurers stick with it.

I was told by a Genesis technician that their valve couldn't be used with anything above an FO2 of 40% no matter what you did to them.

Zeagle no longer offers kits for their regs. Their stance as related to me is that the technician is the best judge of the suitability fore use with O2.

In other words, do what you think best.

I also agree that it is due to liability concerns.

I seem to remember reading that NASA did some studies that showed that if the FO2 was over 50%, it acted pretty much like 100% O2.

Back
Top Bottom