?? about Compass Point Dive Resort on GC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECPaul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone ever stayed at the Compass Point Dive Resort on Grand Cayman? I ask because we are considering one of their summer special deals. Apparently they are on the "quiet" side of GC, away from 7-mile beach, etc.

Also, any ideas for best airfare deals to GC? We'd be flying out of Baltimore (BWI)?

Compass Point is a relatively new group of condos built by the owners of Ocean Frontiers dive shop. They are located right at their shop. All feedback I have heard about the accomodations has been quite positive. While there was some damage to the ground floor units by Hurricane Ivan (Sept 11-12, 2004), I believe that their rebuilding is now complete.

At this time, Ocean Frontiers is the only dive operation in East End district. The diving is simply excellent. Wall diving is the rule for the deep dive, followed by a shallower reef dive. Their are very few options for wrecks on East End, and wreck dives are not commonly done.

Keep checking airfares. Occasionally some great deals come through. Out of the BWI area, you might consider US Air with a connection in Charlotte. American flies out of Miami. If you haev any options for discount fares to Tampa or Ft Lauderdale, then you could easily connect to Cayman Airways.

Muchos gracias Drew - I was beginning to think that no one had ever been there.

We dove with Ocean Frontiers last summer but stayed at the Reef. It was close to when Compass Point was opening and at the time we made reservations didn't want to trust they'd really be open or have things sorted out. But the place looks nice, it's very convienient to stay there and dive, and people we talked to staying at CP were happy with it. I would probably stay there next time. IMO the East End is the best diving on GC, I would always choose to stay and dive on the East end before I'd stay anyplace in the west (except for Cobalt Coast/Divetech.) Besides the quality of the ops and diving I prefer the quiet areas to SMB.

(Possibly you're not getting many answers about Compass Point because you didn't really ask a question? "Yes I've stayed there" wouldn't be very interesting. :wink: )

Damselfish:
We dove with Ocean Frontiers last summer but stayed at the Reef. It was close to when Compass Point was opening and at the time we made reservations didn't want to trust they'd really be open or have things sorted out. But the place looks nice, it's very convienient to stay there and dive, and people we talked to staying at CP were happy with it. I would probably stay there next time. IMO the East End is the best diving on GC, I would always choose to stay and dive on the East end before I'd stay anyplace in the west (except for Cobalt Coast/Divetech.) Besides the quality of the ops and diving I prefer the quiet areas to SMB.

(Possibly you're not getting many answers about Compass Point because you didn't really ask a question? "Yes I've stayed there" wouldn't be very interesting. :wink: )

OK, OK. To follow the strict letter of grammatical law, I'll admit that you are correct. Still, I believe that what I implied in my question was "and what was your experience"? I see a lot of questions posed in a similar vein, such as "has anyone used this dive op, etc." I think you gave me the real answer to why I didn't get many responses, and that is that Compass Point just has not been open very long, so few if any fellow travelers have had a chance to stay there.

Thanks for the feedback and the information. Compass Point and Oceans Frontiers have offered me a pretty unbeatable discounted price for a week of lodging and diving in late June. Now to find reasonable airfare. Let's hope that hurricane season is late this year.

so what's the deal?

ECPaul:
OK, OK. To follow the strict letter of grammatical law, I'll admit that you are correct. Still, I believe that what I implied in my question was "and what was your experience"? I see a lot of questions posed in a similar vein, such as "has anyone used this dive op, etc." I think you gave me the real answer to why I didn't get many responses, and that is that Compass Point just has not been open very long, so few if any fellow travelers have had a chance to stay there.

Thanks for the feedback and the information. Compass Point and Oceans Frontiers have offered me a pretty unbeatable discounted price for a week of lodging and diving in late June. Now to find reasonable airfare. Let's hope that hurricane season is late this year.

Check out "Cayman Airways" prices, I've received a couple of e-mails recently from them that have great prices for all three Caymans.

Damselfish:
so what's the deal?

To quote:

7 nights must be booked and paid for in full by 31st May 2005
Two bedroom Beachfront condominium at Compass Point Dive Resort
www.compasspoint.ky

4 days of two tank dives and a night dive

Full size car for your entire stay.

Cost $685.00 PP based on quad occupancy in a two bedroom.

I thought that sounded pretty good. Of course I would probably add another day or two of diving.

caymaniac:
Check out "Cayman Airways" prices, I've received a couple of e-mails recently from them that have great prices for all three Caymans.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll check them out.

I just got back from a week at Compass Point last night. It is located about 30 minutes from the busy tourist area of Georgtown on the "quiet East End of the Island".

Quite simply the best dive resort experience I have had so far. I was with a group of divers from Northern California's Wine Country. We have dived the Philippines, Bon Air, Fiji, Hawaii, Roatan, Cozumel, and all over North America. We were in agreement that this was the best Dive Operation we have been involved with.

Compass Point is actually the name of the Condo that is affiliated with Ocean Frontiers Dive Shop. The Dive Shop and Compass Point are at the same location. Every room at Compass Point is an ocean front view. The private dock leading to the three dive boats is as close to your room as possible without being in your living room. Boat skipper Gary and First Mate "Kaz" were professional, friendly, and excellent divers to boot. Here was a typical day.

7:20 a.m. Have breakfast in my spotlessly clean and well appointed ocean front condo.

8:00 a.m. stroll across the sand to the private boat dock located about 50 steps from my patio.

8:10-8:20 a.m. Arrive at first of many world class dive sites. Unbelievable variety of diving so close to the dock it feels like cheating to call it a boat dive.

The boat captain will they do one of the most complete dive briefings you'll ever have. They draw the site on a big dry erase board in 3-4 color marking pens. Different colors represent corals, sand bottom, swim throughs etc. Truly remarkable in the detail they provide.

First dive will usually be in the 100-105 (or more) depth range through some mind blowing maze of swim throughs lined with so many silver sides and Tarpon that you sometimes have to push them aside so that you can see where you are going. Or you might do a wall dive full of fish, barrel sponges, soft corals, etc. on one side, with the 6000 foot abyss on the other.

During my safety stop I can hang from one of the 2 downlines off the boat. Or if I was careless, could suck a few breaths of air from the hookah line hanging 15 feet below the boat.

Back on the boat I rinse off with warm fresh water from the hose at the stern, while Kaz or Gary pass around orange slices to "get rid of the salt taste in my mouth". Cold water and cold lemonade are always available to rehydrate by body. During the night dives we get served warm homemade muffins that were so good I had to smuggle a few off the boat when we returned to the dock!

Next dive would usually be a shallower group of fingers and pinnacles and more swim throughs.

Don't have to try and log my dive with my wet dripping hands because the crew has asked me max depth and time as well as logged the location for the computerized print out that they give me at the end of my stay at the resort.

12:00 p.m. back at the dock

12:15 BBQing lunch on one of the dozen or so barbecues that are located on the beach or poolside.

All the gear is brought to the boat each day and taken off the boat, and washed/dryed at the end of the day by the crew (simply one of the hardest working crews I've seen in a long time.) The water averaged 83-88 degrees according to my computer. It felt even warmer than that at times...I don't even know why I was wearing the .5mm dive skin. The Dive Masters/Instructors just wear shorts. But if you do were a wetsuit...it is such a treat to put on a nice clean, dry, wetsuit every mornining.

We have all been on great dives, with beautiful corals, hundreds of fish etc. But what made this trip so good is the crew and staff at Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers. All of them are professional without being stuffy. They are all serious hard core, tech divers, but without the "looking down their nose attitude" that I have witnessed with others of that ilk. The shop is well stocked with Scuabapro and Halcyon gear. Simon works the shop and can hook you up with any number of PADI specialty courses. Sally was the AOW classroom instructer for my daughter on this trip and did a great job with her. One of the co-owners, Fraser, is a GUE instructor (I think he hails from England). The other owner, Mo, is a transplanted Texan who built the 14-16 passenger dive boats by hand. We were offered the option of being guided or semi-guided at every site. Except for my daughter. We were all pretty experienced divers and Gary,Kaz, Fraser, and Mo never acted like baby-sitters during a dive. They were very attentive to everyone that wanted to be guided...but allowed us to signal that we were breaking off from the rest of the group when we wanted to.

Simply the most relaxing dive vacation I have ever experienced.

If you go please give "Thumper" (one of the friendly, resident, canines) a hug for my wife and me.

JP "Mouth Breather" Montemayor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom