'Abnormally friendly’ Critters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It always seems like they position to eat it from the tookus. Seems like a big risk, hoping that the spines go through with the not business end first. Of course lionfish are so tasty, I would try it if I was a mutton snapper....

Sallye,

Ha! My money was on Sancho's!
Those are land sharks, not lionfish... :wink:

I took the following video about two weeks ago in Little Cayman. The DM's at LCBR participate in cull dives but not with guests; when they find a lionfish during a dive with guests they now use their fins to push the lionfish away from the reef. Alive, unharmed, the grouper go for them.

LC201320130217 0011 - YouTube

posted originally in the cayman islands forum. I have not seen the grouper take one from the reef, but all it seems to take is a nudge or two to push it into the open. I wonder if this has been tried at Cozumel?

Too cool! Hope that works, seems a way better solution to the lionfish problem. Nice video :)

I took the following video about two weeks ago in Little Cayman. The DM's at LCBR participate in cull dives but not with guests; when they find a lionfish during a dive with guests they now use their fins to push the lionfish away from the reef. Alive, unharmed, the grouper go for them.

posted originally in the cayman islands forum. I have not seen the grouper take one from the reef, but all it seems to take is a nudge or two to push it into the open. I wonder if this has been tried at Cozumel?

Great! That is the first time I have seen anything take a swimming lionfish in the Caribbean. :thumb: Unfortunately, the lions only leave the reef to stalk fish and the grouper would probably compete for the same fish, but maybe they are taking some of the competition...?

I would suspect that the grouper took it because you diverted it's attention from the grouper. If the lion is reacting to the grouper, her is positioning his spines for protection in the grouper's direction. By kicking the lion, the lionfish was protecting himself from the diver, allowing the grouper to grab him. You can see the grouper pass, when the lion is defensive towards the grouper.

Very interesting!!!

I would suspect that the grouper took it because you diverted it's attention from the grouper. If the lion is reacting to the grouper, her is positioning his spines for protection in the grouper's direction. By kicking the lion, the lionfish was protecting himself from the diver, allowing the grouper to grab him. You can see the grouper pass, when the lion is defensive towards the grouper.

Very interesting!!!
Yeah, I guess so. Interesting that the grouper knows when the lionfish is being defensive vs off guard both. They are learning. Maybe they can learn to work in buddy teams, taking turns with distraction & capture.

"Abnormally Friendly Critters" Here I thought you were talking about some DM's I've known.... :wink: Those videos are really interesting! I've never seen or heard of a grouper taking a live lionfish before! But what I really want to know is where this heard of grouper puppies were?!?! Anyone know where that was taken?

Back
Top Bottom