'Abnormally friendly’ Critters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do any Coz ops not hunt lionfish while conducting reef/wall tours?

I still think every DM ought to whack every lionfish they see. They probably should either drop the LF or give to a lobster or something that can't chase you too fast. However it is so DARNED tempting to feed something.....

That kind of nurse shark behavior has been reported before and for sometime. I had to keep check my 6 in February as I had a nurse dogging me. Now that moray thing would induce a warhammer, I think....

[QUOTEThere are plenty of confused, startled divers reporting morays being overly inquisitive translated -- agressive toward camera housings. Instead of sitting in their dens looking back at the camera, they come right at it (camera) and or the diver.][/QUOTE]

This must be what Mike is taking about. I shot this Nov. 2012 at Cedral Pass
https://plus.google.com/u/0/106314477373429914293/posts/5saWDoNkZuG

We had friendly groupers while in the Brac and the DM wouldn't feed them Lionfish as they got quite aggressive when they were speared with multiple groupers fighting it out.

In French Cay Turks and Caicos we've never seen so many large multiple groups of lionfish. Reason? The Reef sharks became very aggressive due to being fed them. To the point one hungry shark decided that the diver climbing the ladder with a bag of lionfish was getting away with his supper! You can imagine the size of that DM's eyes! Lol....warhammer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A photo from my close encounter yesterday with a nurse shark. Yes, it was eyeball to eyeball with my camera housing.

20130305_02.jpg

pretty sure it has something to do with folks feeding Lionfish to them...

...when I was in the Navy, we'd dive the supply pier on Midway Island. There were several very large jacks that used to hang out down there.

They were very curious and would swim up face to face with you, swim between your legs as you kicked & generally just be pretty friendly...especially if we were lobstering.

Because of their silver coloring, you couldn't see them until they were almost right on you. All of a sudden there would be a 4' long fish seemingly to magically appear in front of you...air consumption went down at that moment... :D

Back
Top Bottom