Abernethy.... WTF????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The veterans wanted to dive with Spencer Slate....some of the OBP supporters...people that have been involved in donating to this charity, had set up the dive with Slate after hearing from the Veterans that this would be an experience they would like.

Spencer as you may know, has been doing this petting zoo concept for ages, and even in the early 90's was feeding a big cuda with a fish in his mouth....Spencer is a showman, and that is what some divers want for a dive now and then. I don't see the harm. I don't have to like every kind of dive you like, and you don't have to like every kind of dive I like..... For many people with few chances to dive in one year, or ever, this may be their solution to seeing as much as they can see of exciting underwater life.....Again, to me, this is alot better than their "opting" to go out on one of the 60 passenger , Fishing Party boats, and sitting on a 50 foot reef for several hours hooking fish, nurse sharks, or even the occasional moray eel--which by the way, is perfectly legal, advertised heavily, and the MAJORITY of the US population thinks this IS the way to enjoy the ocean. Slate has done alot to change that, by offering so many experiences to people that had never dived before, or that has so little interaction with marine life before that they would never have been emotionally connected to it otherwise.

Again, vilifying Slate, when Fishing party boats are the norm, is really attacking a powerful ally.

I'm from NYC and don't know the history. I'll take your word that these operators have done a lot of good. However, doing good does not give one permission to do bad.

Seems like maybe there is a difference of opinion on the bad. Feeding-non feeding debate, while related, is a different topic. I respect your opinion as well as the operators, but in my opinion, using a picture of a diver hugging a moray eel is bad. Not trying to vilify anyone. I just think the choice of photo is very poor. A moray eel is not a pet. It's a wild animal that has potential to be dangerous.

I'm from NYC and don't know the history. I'll take your word that these operators have done a lot of good. However, doing good does not give one permission to do bad.

Seems like maybe there is a difference of opinion on the bad. Feeding-non feeding debate, while related, is a different topic. I respect your opinion as well as the operators, but in my opinion, using a picture of a diver hugging a moray eel is bad. Not trying to vilify anyone. I just think the choice of photo is very poor. A moray eel is not a pet. It's a wild animal that has potential to be dangerous.

Well, I can tell you this.... I am not going to be hugging a moray...not now, not ever :)
Slate can cozy up to them to his heart's content. I think he figures that after the huge bites he suffered from his first ex-wife, the moray would not be much of a threat to him :)

But, on the other hand, Slate has had so much influence in the Keys over the last 30 years, that it would be hard to find a diver in the keys that has done MORE to effect legislative and law enforcement regulated PROTECTIONS for the marine ecosystem in the Key Largo area. In other words, he has protected far more underwater marine life, dramatically so, than has the OP.
I find that hard to believe.

Second, How does that, in any way, excuse his irresponsible behavior?

It was reported that 7 hammerheads were seen on the Benwood (no feeding there I am pretty sure)

Read it on Horizon Divers facebook

I'm so tired of the dive police condemning other divers on here when they have never been diving with some of the aforementioned dive operators. If you don't like their operation, go somewhere else. If I want to let Slate's eel swim around me, I'm going to let it. He tells everyone in the dive briefing not the try to handle her or the sharks, unless of course, he hands you an upside down nurse shark to cuddle. I read the posts to see everyone's opinions but I don't like the dive police condemning a dive operator with their holier than thou views. A conversation is one thing, condemnation of a dive operation or other divers is uncalled for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom