A7RiV Nauticam Setup - sanity check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Considering a Nauticam housing for the Sony A7RV.

What all would I need if I intend to use it for macro only.
Assume I have the camera, 90mm Sony lens, SMC-1, and backscatter MF-1 flash and fiber optic cables.
I also have arms, floats, and clamps from my full frame Canon Aquatica housing that I can use.

I currently have listed:

1- Nauticam housing (NA-A7RV)
2- N100 macro port 105
3- M14 vacuum valve II
4- Turtle LED trigger (manual - no intention on using TTL - happy to be corrected or advised otherwise)

5- AOI Sea & Sea fiber optic connector - this came recommended by a seller - I don't understand the purpose
If the Nauticam housing already has fiber optic cable ports and I have a fiber optic cable, then what purpose does this AOI connector serve?

6- M67 dual flip holder (for the SMC-1 and potentially the SMC-2 in the future)

Have I missed anything required?

Anything not necessary but nice to have? May as well consider these things now while I am placing the order and bracing for the pain that this will all cost...

Thank you!

Interesting the Nauticam does not include a flash trigger in the A7RV housing. They do include a basic flash trigger in the Z8 housing and all my previous Nikon housings. You may be able to get the basic Nauticam Sony LED trigger for less than the Turtle? Usually 3rd party triggers are for advanced features like TTL, etc. Shop around.

The Sea&Sea fiber optic adapters are little screw on plastic cylinders that you put on the fiber optic posts/ports on top of the housing. It's not a bad idea to maybe get two sets in case you lose one.

Do you have more than 1 sony battery? Have 3 minimum on any trip. Plus extra coin batteries for the vacuum circuit and flash trigger. The vacuum circuit eats up batteries very quickly, especially if you tend to setup your camera the day before a dive. The led trigger batteries tend to last for years.

Interesting the Nauticam does not include a flash trigger in the A7RV housing. They do include a basic flash trigger in the Z8 housing and all my previous Nikon housings. You may be able to get the basic Nauticam Sony LED trigger for less than the Turtle? Usually 3rd party triggers are for advanced features like TTL, etc. Shop around.

The Sea&Sea fiber optic adapters are little screw on plastic cylinders that you put on the fiber optic posts/ports on top of the housing. It's not a bad idea to maybe get two sets in case you lose one.

Do you have more than 1 sony battery? Have 3 minimum on any trip. Plus extra coin batteries for the vacuum circuit and flash trigger. The vacuum circuit eats up batteries very quickly, especially if you tend to setup your camera the day before a dive. The led trigger batteries tend to last for years.
Hi Dave.
The basic Nauticam led trigger is fine but only allows up to 1/200 flash sync. The Sony camera natively syncs up to 1/250 - and the Turtle or UW Technics triggers offer this (and for not much more than the nauticam price).

I have a second SmallRig branded Sony battery.

Thanks for these suggestions.

I hope you are going with 2 strobes. I use Nikon. I really like the Nauticam system. Adding a new lens is not a big deal. It is just a port or a dome and a lens. Once you get your feet we, you might think of branching out.

Sony has good video abilities and even a modest video light works well.

Also think,of a focus light.

I hope you are going with 2 strobes. I use Nikon. I really like the Nauticam system. Adding a new lens is not a big deal. It is just a port or a dome and a lens. Once you get your feet we, you might think of branching out.

Sony has good video abilities and even a modest video light works well.

Also think,of a focus light.
Hi.
Not new to underwater photography.
Currently using a Canon 5dmkii with a 100L lens (iykyk) in an Aquatica housing. I've been content with a single backscatter mf1.

The Canon is from 2009.
Decided to leap 15 years into the future with the Sony requisition.

I'm familiar with the Aquatica ecosystem. Unfamiliar with the Nauticam ecosystem and hence this thread.

OQ3lbaU.jpeg

If you can, it really helps to go to a retailer who carries the stuff you want to get. It is a big advantage to be able to handle the equipment. It is even better to be able to rent a system to give it a try out underwater. I really highly recommend nauticam but I am lucky to have a good retailer.

You must be pretty handy to Red Sea diving which sounds really good.

Considering a Nauticam housing for the Sony A7RV.

What all would I need if I intend to use it for macro only.
Assume I have the camera, 90mm Sony lens, SMC-1, and backscatter MF-1 flash and fiber optic cables.
I also have arms, floats, and clamps from my full frame Canon Aquatica housing that I can use.

I currently have listed:

1- Nauticam housing (NA-A7RV)
2- N100 macro port 105
3- M14 vacuum valve II
4- Turtle LED trigger (manual - no intention on using TTL - happy to be corrected or advised otherwise)

5- AOI Sea & Sea fiber optic connector - this came recommended by a seller - I don't understand the purpose
If the Nauticam housing already has fiber optic cable ports and I have a fiber optic cable, then what purpose does this AOI connector serve?

6- M67 dual flip holder (for the SMC-1 and potentially the SMC-2 in the future)

Have I missed anything required?

Anything not necessary but nice to have? May as well consider these things now while I am placing the order and bracing for the pain that this will all cost...

Thank you!
A lanyard... that rig gets heavy out of the water. Helps me carry it, helps get it into the boat safely as well...

Recently set up a Sony/Nauticam macro rig as well coming from 5dm2. I think you have a solid list there — would contemplate adding usb-c bulkhead to allow you to charge the camera battery without having to break vacuum. Coming to mirrorless, I’ve found that I not infrequently run out of juice half-way through my second dive and the usbc bulkhead would allow you to top off in-between dives while on the boat.

you will probably need a focus light... and a way to mount it to either the port , with a 1 in ball mount and clamp or one of the ball one on the nauticam housing.

Recently set up a Sony/Nauticam macro rig as well coming from 5dm2. I think you have a solid list there — would contemplate adding usb-c bulkhead to allow you to charge the camera battery without having to break vacuum. Coming to mirrorless, I’ve found that I not infrequently run out of juice half-way through my second dive and the usbc bulkhead would allow you to top off in-between dives while on the boat.

That's something for me to think of.

Essentially, I need to outweigh the gains veruses the cons.

I don't shoot a lot and expect the battery to easily be sufficient for three dives. Therefore I would not need to charge on the boat.

Plus, I usually like to inspect the system every morning.

The gain is efficiency at the cost of another potential failure point or an added part that needs routine inspection and maintenance.

you will probably need a focus light... and a way to mount it to either the port , with a 1 in ball mount and clamp or one of the ball one on the nauticam housing.

The nice thing about the Backscatter MF flashes is their built in focus light that also acts as a visual beam of your flash's trajectory.

Back
Top Bottom