A700 Second Stage 'Clicking'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redline88

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

First time poster however I have browsed the fourms for quite some time so thanks for all the interesting comments and discussions.

I started diving last year and have recently purchased some kit including an A700 regulator with MK25 Evo first stage / R195 Octo. I had a problem with the second stage and so it was returned and the shop promptly replaced it however it now makes a loud click when inhaling and stopping inhalation - almost like a loud activation of the valve.

This is not something I have come across before and is not present on the R195. Can anybody please advise?

I am supposed to be going on a trip next week and so it's starting to stress me out!!

Thanks!!

Is it a new unit or is it the same one that has been adjusted?
it the first stage or second stage making noise?
Does it happen both in and out of the water?

A clicking from the second stage is most likely the lever height adjustment. if it is adjusted so that it is not in contact with the diaphram it could cause the diaphram to hit the lever when you inhale. This can often be diagnosed by shaking the second stage gently forward and backward. if the diaphram is in contact there would be no clicking but if it was not in contact it would click.
This may slightly reduce the regulator performance but it should still function. I would have it adjusted.

Thanks UnderH2Oman - it did indeed appear to be adjustment on the demand lever - the shop has now corrected this.

On a related note, does anyone know - within the A700 - does the demand lever pivot against the adjustment tube/valve body or does it sit on the plastic 'anti-friction' sleeve with no actual direct contact with the housing tube?

Thanks again!!

That video was really interesting - thanks for posting it!

From the look of that, the lever itself does not physically touch the metal housing? I ask as one of the other threads on SB was talking about older regs (R109s) having problems as a result of corrosion on the adjustment tube which can't be replaced as it is part of the housing assembly (same as the A700). This was seemingly caused due to the stainless steel lever coming into contact with the brass bodied adjustment housing.

If that's not the case, is there any particular steps that should be taken over and above normal cleaning to prevent ware on the adjustment tube?

corrosion could form if the regulator has not been rinsed and cleaned properly. I do find many divers think a quick rinse of a regulator is sufficient for cleaning. Most of them spend most of their time diving fresh water, which is not as corrosive as salt water.
A good soaking (I leave my regulator on a tank pressurized and submerge it for a couple hours) to make sure any salt particulates have dissolved away. In addition making sure there is no other foreign material (sand, sediment, weeds, etc) in any part of the regulator then allowing it to dry thoroughly works. With the addition of some servicing it should keep it working for decades.

I do find many divers think a quick rinse of a regulator is sufficient for cleaning.

I see the same thing every day. Occassionally I'll get a well worn set that comes in reasonably clean, but not often. Had a customer come in the other day with MK25/S600 combo. LP inflator hose was virtually stuck to the power inflator, corrosion on every connection, and green filter. He was adament about how he rinses his gear very throroughly, though.

One thing I learned about the A700 at the Scubapro Technician course was after diving in salt water it's best to set regulator with moutpiece facing up. Then pour fresh water into the housing and let it sit overnight. Hopefully that advice with help the OP keep his reg running smooth for a long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom