A word to the wise when dealing with any enforcement authority...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That a moot point. this is not a cigarette issue. its a contraban issue and most travelers have no clue what is and what is not contraban. Some countries carbonated drinks are not allowed.
I think the issue in Mexico boils down to taxes. I remember @cardzard and @ROXANNE getting harassed during the 2015 scubaboard trip for bringing a bunch of soap to give away to those of us who attended. The locals were concerned about someone bringing in a product and selling it, presumably avoiding taxes/duties. You can bring in 10 packs of smokes, but if you're bringing a lot more than that, they probably doubt you brought it for personal consumption.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a country protecting its revenue streams like that. Too bad the rules aren't a little easier to decipher for travelers. I suspect that if you use a travel agent, they could help with understanding those rules.

Even when traveling inside the US sometimes I get surprised by travelers who don't understand (or don't remember or just don't care) about rules like "put all your liquids and gels into a zip lock quart bag before taking them through Airport Security".

I may not always like the rules but I just think it is easier to try to understand the rules and comply with them wherever I am traveling, especially when dealing with people who are in a position of power when I have no power.

Once were we on a liveaboard in the Bahamas and we were either in International waters or Bahamian waters - we were definitely not in US territory but it was an American vessel. The US Coast Guard boarded the boat and searched all of our belongings and then left. They didn't offer any explanation for their actions. The Captain just told us "It happens, do nothing" and so that is what we did.

It was intrusive but maybe they had a good reason, and they had all the power. After they left we just got back to our vacation!

Damn those countries and their stupid laws that I don’t agree to abide by..........

What gives them the right to have laws that I don’t agree with?

.....,um......err......,Sovereignty.

Almost every single Mexican airport customs horror story I've read has involved trying to bring in cigarettes.

Why bring them when they're cheaper in Mexico?

"But they don't have Nat's Berry flavored menthol 100's! How will I survive for a week??!!!" :rolleyes:

Never give information to any cops. Not without council present.
I hope your idea of "cops" doesn't include officials at the border. Because if you take that attitude, you'll stand a good chance of finding yourself returned to your country of origin. That'll be an expensive lesson.

I hope your idea of "cops" doesn't include officials at the border. Because if you take that attitude, you'll stand a good chance of finding yourself returned to your country of origin. That'll be an expensive lesson.
I find acting dumb is often the best policy ("Oh Kosta, are you sure you are acting?"). I don't mind paying small bribes, but I never say it is that. When traveling inside Tanzania, the guy handling luggage as I was checking into a flight said my bags were too heavy for domestic flights (which was true). "Oh, I'm sorry, where do I go to pay the fee?" "Just give me 10,000 Shillings ($7) and I'll take care of it." (probably his week's wages). No problem. I'm not going to take a stand against corruption when traveling.

That a moot point. this is not a cigarette issue. its a contraban issue and most travelers have no clue what is and what is not contraban. Some countries carbonated drinks are not allowed.

Sense of humor much?

-Z

I also do not give them access to my phone. That want that in Miami now, apparently.

I know what "contraban" is. It's when a ban is banned.

edit: Spelling error appears to have been fixed in quoted post. Snark duly retracted.

I also do not give them access to my phone. That want that in Miami now, apparently.

crossing most borders gives them the right to search anything they want. that includes your phone and laptop etc etc. no different than bringing a filing cabinet full of documents with you. the key is not to store anything on the device itself. for example....i would not use an email app. to use my email i have to sign in online to access that server.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom