A wetsuit is really THAT warm??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I was read another thread where Mike5615 said he had worn a Hyperstretch 7/5 in 57 degree waters and was warm through two dives. He noted the drysuit divers seemed to be cold after their dives too. I was thinking of purchasing a drysuit,but if a wetsuit will keep me warm at 57 +/- water temps,then this may be the way to go when considering the price difference. I'd like to get some feedback from the cold water divers if possible on this. I'm having dry land narcosis and need to get wet....SOON!!

I dive a 7mm wetsuit here in Southern New England. I did two dives in Jamestown RI a couple of weeks ago. water temp was 42 degrees. I was only really cold during the SI. I also am wearing a hood and gloves.

DWJ

I regularly see temps sub 50 degrees in my wetsuit (6.5 mil John/shorty) with hood and gloves...

I'm warm enough for the dives...but the SIs are what really makes cold weather wetsuit diving a real PITA. I want a drysuit, but I have other obligations to tend to. I'll just live with diving a little cold for a while. The big deal with a drysuit is having the right thermal protection underneath it. If they just had the drysuit, a longsleeve shirt, and sweat pants on, I'd bet the drysuit divers were cold.

However, if you already have a wetsuit...and plan on buying something else (other than hood and gloves) seriously think about a drysuit...that's the next thing I'm going to purchase for exposure protection. The upfront diffrerence of a few hundred bucks is very well worth it in my opinion....and I don't even have one yet.

i am probably quite sensitive to cold water compared to others. however, a 7mm for 57F water assuming 2 dives per day and no multiday diving would be a viable option even for me. after a couple of days i would get cold, though. surface interval can be a killer depending on temp. of course, now that i've tasted dry diving you would not get me into a 7mm again.

Keep in mind that a wetsuit changes insulation with depth as it compresses. So, while those divers may have been comfortable at 57 degrees, was that 20 ft deep? 60? 100? Comfortable near the surface means you will be cold down deep. One of the biggest advantages to a drysuit is that it's insulation stays constant (assuming a shell suit).

If the divers in dry suits were cold then they were not wearing the right underwear, were not using dry gloves and dry hood or some combination of the above.

A dry suit is also a good backup to your BC, this can be important if you go to carrying big gas supplies.

On the surface interval getting out of the wind is very important. A heated tent and hot drinks are real nice.

but my buddies and I dive using 7mm wetsuits in Monterey Bay where the temps run (usually) from the high 40's to the high 50's depending upon the time of year. We dive deep enough to get compression of the wetsuits.

Greg doesn't get cold at all, but he is a freak of nature. Dennis swears that his Henderson Gold Core is the second coming, and he doesn't get cold, but he rarely wears a jacket on land unless it is raining. I feel the cold, but it is not a problem. In fact the only problem is when trying to climb the ladder and the boat crew wants to ask me questions. I have trouble getting my frozen lips to work, but that is the only issue.

Obviously it is a very personal thing, and depends upon your susceptibility to getting cold, and how that affects you. The bottom line is that a 7mm wetsuit that fits properly can be used at 57 degrees. Whether that is warm enough for YOU is something that only you can answer.

Just my two cents, and only because you asked,

Wristshot

The bottom line is 57 degrees isn't that cold, and a 7mm wetsuit, especially a 2 piece, should work fine unless you are diving very deep. I can dive comfortably in a 7mm w/ 5mm core warmer in temperatures above 50 degrees and I get cold extremely easily.

What is adequate protection is to some degree a personal thing. I have a couple dry suits but really hate dry suit diving. I will put them away for the summer about mid June when the thermocline is deep enough to do the deco in relatively warm water (over 55 degrees). I then use a 7mm semi-dry with a 7mm hood and atached 5mm vest.

In the summer the bottom temps at 100 to 150 ft will still be in the low to mid 40's and I have no particular problem staying warm at depth as long as I am moving. Deco is not a problem as the water above 40 ft is normally 60 something. When the surface water then chills into the 50's the drysuit comesback out of the closet.

Thanks everyone for the info. I should have gone to the DUI Dog Day when they were in Texas, that way I could have tried a drysuit first hand,then tried the wetsuit. I'll just have to get the local LDS to come through with a loaner of both,if they have the desire to sell one. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom