A weekend of Monkey diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wanted to share a great weekends fun diving with my girlfriend and her family in Aniloa. As it was just fun dives i decided to dive monkey. ( Single tank under my left arm)

What I did:
Set up left tank (AL80) as standard and just added a spare 2nd stage on a short hose which i banded to the to the tank close to my body to keep it out the way.
Reduced my weight down to 4lbs.
Crossed the RHS end of my dynamic bungee to the LHS d-ring and then just dived as normal.

Experience:
It actually felt really good, and very uncluttered. Trim was good and the little but of roll experienced was manageable on the normal dives but on the night dive (macro) i did notice it but as we not really going anywhere i just unclipped the bottom tank mount from the rear LHS d-ring and clipped it to the front RHS d-ring so i was effectively laying on the tank. This turned out to be the perfect solution.

I also did an intro dive for my brother-in-laws? Girlfriend which caused no real hardship at all as I'm right handed i just held her tank with my right hand and could easily reach her PI even with my tank under my leaf arm.

Conclusion:
This is the first time I have tried this and you know i really enjoyed and i think this will now be my standard config for single tank diving. Pros are my gear is lighter to carry on the motorcycle to the resorts. No back ache. Boat crew leave my gear for me to set up. Cons are only the normal single tank cons and the fact I probably just lost my back plate to my girlfriend.

So guys if you have not tried it give it a go and see.

Wait... did you have a BC? I don't think it's monkey diving if you have a BC.

Just wanted to share a great weekends fun diving with my girlfriend and her family in Aniloa. As it was just fun dives i decided to dive monkey. ( Single tank under my left arm)

What I did:
Set up left tank (AL80) as standard and just added a spare 2nd stage on a short hose which i banded to the to the tank close to my body to keep it out the way.
Reduced my weight down to 4lbs.
Crossed the RHS end of my dynamic bungee to the LHS d-ring and then just dived as normal.

Experience:
It actually felt really good, and very uncluttered. Trim was good and the little but of roll experienced was manageable on the normal dives but on the night dive (macro) i did notice it but as we not really going anywhere i just unclipped the bottom tank mount from the rear LHS d-ring and clipped it to the front RHS d-ring so i was effectively laying on the tank. This turned out to be the perfect solution.

I also did an intro dive for my brother-in-laws? Girlfriend which caused no real hardship at all as I'm right handed i just held her tank with my right hand and could easily reach her PI even with my tank under my leaf arm.

Conclusion:
This is the first time I have tried this and you know i really enjoyed and i think this will now be my standard config for single tank diving. Pros are my gear is lighter to carry on the motorcycle to the resorts. No back ache. Boat crew leave my gear for me to set up. Cons are only the normal single tank cons and the fact I probably just lost my back plate to my girlfriend.

So guys if you have not tried it give it a go and see.

So your tank ran diagonally across your chest? That...does not seem like an improvement over backmount.

So your tank ran diagonally across your chest? That...does not seem like an improvement over backmount.
Only when i wanted a little extra fine control looking very closely at macro critters. I didn't want to risk damaging any corals by unintentionally rolling on them. For everything else it was in normal position along side me.

If I may be so bold.... seems more like single tank SM.......not true monkey diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom