a warning to all southeast Florida dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tenacious

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Over this past weekend numerous dive shops were victims of a gang of thieves. I heard the stores range from the Keys on up the coast. In my local area, Force E Dive Center, Calypso Dive Charters, Jim Abernethy Dive Charters, Jupiter Dive Center, Stuart, Scubaworks were all victims. They tried to hit "Brownies" in palm beach today for a hooka system.

There were male and female suspects who used fraudulent credit cards and outright snatch/grab shoplifting techniques. They drove a black pick-up truck, a black ferrari with Colorado plates and a black land rover in separate but apparently coordinated attacks on merchants in our local diving communities taking everything from Gopro cameras, hooka systems, and scuba regulators.

The best lead we have is this image below of a suspect who is described as a hispanic male about 6 feet tall weighing 250 pounds and with no visible tattoos and no facial hair. His "wife" is also Hispanic, around 275lbs, with BLUE eyes.

He spoke with a Dominican accent according to one victim witness. The name on the card and drivers license is Samuel Villa (which may be fake). The drivers license was from a northern state like Connecticut or Massachusetts. He appeared to have some knowledge of scuba diving according to one witness. He has told some of the shops that he is sending the gear to Venezuela.

just throwing it out there so you don't become victims.

scumbag.jpg

This really sucks.

Chug
Pro death penalty for the most part.

Tony Grogan from Spearboard sent this to me as well. Let's stop these people.

What some people do is just unbelievable . . .

Even worse because dive shops are such easygoing, trusting, open places, mostly because divers and shop owners and staff are nice people who just don't do these sort of things. Now bad apples hurt our trusted friends who, as we all know, are not getting rich off of the dive business and now have to put in insurance claims.

Oh, by the way, I have a black land rover, please don't shoot me when I am at Force-E renting tanks:D

sorry to hear such rot....when these thing happen we all pay.

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure how it might affect my shop, but surely a Divers Direct worst nightmare.

Wow! 275# woman in a black Ferrari. Seems like local law enforcement needs to put out an all points BOLO for that and somebody would get a hit.:idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom