A total lack of situational awareness.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Painter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got back from a trip to AKR, Roatan. Went with a group and had a fabulous time. On two days, though, I was on boats with people I didn't know, and on both of those boats there were people who were so lacking in situational awareness that they were certainly a danger to the reef, and possibly to themselves and other divers. On one, this guy was so focused on taking pictures of his daughter, that he was kicking coral, standing on the reef, and generally kicking up the bottom. The DM caught him at it and sent him back to the boat. On another, the guy was just taking general pictures, kicking coral etc. The DM didn't catch him at it, but I mentioned it to him afterwards. I heard later that on an earlier dive he had drifted below 100ft without knowing it, and also not knowing he had his phone with him.
Hey, photos are great. I carry a camera myself. But please, be aware of the coral and if your buoyancy isn't great, hang back a bit.
(Don't get me started on my rant about photographers who elbow themselves in front of everybody and then don't get out of the way. Fortunately nobody like that in the group that I went with.)

Yea. I've had many dives ruined due to awful divers. Either to help them, end the dive, etc. Also seen ridiculous things such as people trying to touch/ride animals for pictures...

After completing our first invasion, i'm probably going to go to as many as i can. The level of other diver awareness, respect, and competency just allowed me to just enjoy diving.

One reason I chose my dive resort and or dive boat charter carefully. With 56 years of diving history I know which resorts and Which Florida Keys dive charters to use or avoid. However most of my dives are mixed gas staged decompression cave dives with known team mates. 😎

One reason I chose my dive resort and or dive boat charter carefully. With 56 years of diving history I know which resorts and Which Florida Keys dive charters to use or avoid. However most of my dives are mixed gas staged decompression cave dives with known team mates. 😎
Just in case anyone here dives in the Florida keys, which ones are good ones to go with?

Some of the worst divers I have ever seen were at AKR. I wouldn’t draw any conclusions from that. Just coincidence I’d guess.

I'm more amazed if I see good diver skills and situational awareness. Kind of like seeing cyclists obey traffic laws.

Some of the worst divers I have ever seen were at AKR.
Blue Heron Bridge says........" Hold my beer,,Yaa All watch these guys "

Back
Top Bottom